1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Social Network

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Alma, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Awesome flick. I'm always intrigued by what drives "genius" people, and I found Zuck interesting, if not a bit pathetic in ways.

Thought JT did really well. Was perfect in that particular role.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I saw it this weekend. I thought it was a very good film, but not greatness by any means. What impressed me most was that the writers managed to take what is a really a pretty boring story (take out the fact that it's Facebook and it has become so big, and it is the same story that has happened over and over again between friends/business rivals) and turn it into something that drew people in and kept a plot moving along without the movie ever getting boring.

I think the biggest thing I took from it, is if the portrayal of Zuckerberg is accurate, all of us (plus 500 million) are now sharing personal info and willingly leaving traces of ourselves behind on servers controlled by a guy who first came up with the idea because he was bitter and juvenile; and in fact, the genesis for Facebook was an algorythm, in which he used photos of women who didn't choose to participate and set up a site where guys were rating their looks. Then in his subsequent dealings, he seemed to have the fatal flaw of allowing jealousies and slights to paint how he treats people. With this guy still running the company -- and again, I don't know how accurate the portrayal of him was -- I couldn't help but thinking, do I want my personal info in HIS hands?

In some ways, also, his behavior had me thinking about this message board (and others). I couldn't help but think about all the people who have come through here, all friendly and enthusiastic for a while, only to go off the deep end and find themselves bitter and hateful and displaying the same kind of behavior that Zuckerberg did in the film.

Aside from that commentary, I thought it was pretty well done, given that I wouldn't have thought there would have been much of a plot there to keep people engaged.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Who are you calling bitter and hateful, dickwad?

4. britwrit

britwrit Well-Known Member

I'm sure the broad details are true, which is pretty depressing. Compare and contrast Facebook with the internet efforts of the entire newspaper industry. In 2010.

...Put up a paywall?... Well, maybe. Or maybe not... No, wait! Let's do it!... Oh, on second thought...

5. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

I also liked it a great deal and, while I agree it's probably not a Best Picture winner, I think it's a favorite for Best Adapted Screenplay. The only thing less visually exciting than a writer working is a computer programmer working, but the film never lagged despite all the 'Guy sits at monitor and types' scenes.

6. Frylock

Frylock Member

Just saw Catfish after seeing The Social Network two weeks ago.
    Catfish is a little tough to watch at times but pretty interesting, particularly after seeing TSN.
    I won't give anything away other than Catfish shows the (un)reality of Facebook.

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Heard a lot of good things about Catfish. I doubt it makes it to my burg though. Will have to wait until it hits Netflix.

I really enjoyed the musical pacing in The Social Network. Thought Reznor did an outstanding job with it.

8. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Watched Zombieland last night. Jesse Eisenberg has a line about Facebook in there. A semi-funny line, but a new twist to it after having seen Social Network.

That is all. Carry on.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Are they cousins? I don't think they're brothers.

10. Mizzougrad96

I still haven't seen it, but I agree with DD that Fincher cannot make a bad movie.

11. Mizzougrad96

Finally saw it. Loved it.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I can no longer agree with that statement. Fincher's one of my favorites, but the source material just wasn't there for a compelling drama.

I say they took a pretty boring story and kept it pretty boring, only spoken really quickly.

There's no reason to care about any of these characters and there was dramatic tension. My fiancee thought the movie had another half-hour (and was ready to walk out) less than a minute before the final frame. That's never a good thing when a viewer can't identify the climax of the film.

No drama, no reason to care about the characters, no reason to care about the film. The $22 I spent is the only thing that got me through to the end.

Draft saved Draft deleted