1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 9)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Spurs-Newcastle moved to the Sunday of my trip ... working on trying to see if someone in our local Spurs group can find a way to get me a ticket. Would love to make it two matches.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

As expected, Ellis is stepping down as coach of the USWNT. Damn big shoes to fill there.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It would be difficult for the women to play against 15 year old boys but rewarding. They often shoot early, but rebound well and can shoot again quickly.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Still a one-bid league and LAFC gets sent to Dayton.

7. Inky_Wretch

If I had the time, I'd love to break down MLS vs. Scottish Prem vs. Championship vs. LigaMX.

8. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I’d say there’s lots of parity among the four. I would give the English Championship a slight edge based on depth.

Scotland is skewed a huge amount by the size of Celtic and Rangers, each of which has the resources to hold its own in the English top flight if it had to. (Rangers’ comeback from the near-dead is a remarkable story.)

9. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We have a crapload of talent and not much of the roster is going to turnover. So the new coach is going to have a real ego management issue in terms of getting some of the new guard time.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I am of the firm opinion that any side from the Championship would destroy any MLS team. Wolves were in the Championship two years ago. They would light up LAFC like fireworks.

11. Inky_Wretch

Currently, that ranking has just two Championship squads ahead of LAFC. But then there are several in the gap between the first MLS team at 117 and the second at 193. So maybe LAFC could compete? Maybe?

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I think that LAFC is probably a mid-tier team in the Championship and that most of MLS is somewhere from the bottom half of the Championship to the top half of League One. I haven’t seen enough of the Scottish Prem or LigaMX and most of my League One viewing has been FA and League Cups.

Draft saved Draft deleted