1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I read an article on ESPNFC this morning essentially imploring American soccer fans to cut the self-loathing as it relates to the domestic game. If he opted for MLS 10 years ago, or even five years ago, that would be one thing, but I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to opt for being among the best at home as opposed to sometimes playing time in the PL. Also, I don't mind him having the winter off and having a third of the season on the tires as opposed to the whole thing when he gets on the plane to Brazil.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That we're up to the eighth one of these is making me feel a little aged, I gotta say.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I saw Ives on Twitter making a similar argument. And yeah, MLS has improved dramatically over the years. It's not on par with the top leagues, but it's getting there, and it's certainly a respectable place to play.

For me, it's really just a personal and cultural thing. I don't have the emotional investment in the USMNT that most here do, so the question of whether Dempsey is challenging himself and developing his game isn't really that central to me.

He has a chance to continue playing with and against the best in the world. He can play meaningful games in Old Trafford, San Siro, the Nou Camp. He can see Europe and encounter all the different cultures.

Or. he can play the Houston Dynamo and Columbus Crew.

I get that the appeal of Europe will be different to different people, but personally, I just can't fathom going for option number two. It just seems to be throwing away an amazing opportunity.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Opening Day in the Football League today:

spikechiquet should be happy as Wigan stamp out Barnsley 4-0 away today. Forest with an unspectacular but effective three points, beating Huddersfield 1-0 at home. All the demoted sides won today, as both QPR (v. Sheffield Wednesday) and Reading (v. Ipswich) won 2-1.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You must not be friends with me on facebook (but I am tooting the horn on twitter)! LOL Yeah, it's a good day to be a top the table. Better in a year when they are back with the big boys! :)
    Was surprised they picked 'Arry for the game to show on TV. Guess winning the FA Cup doesn't have much clout. LOL

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's a vastly inferior level of competition and I'm surprised that he would be happy to be a huge fish in a tiny pond.

7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

This link quotes a ranking of leagues that puts MLS on par with the Eredivisie and just ahead of Ligue 1 and the Argentine league. About 2/3 of the Dutch roster that made the final in South Africa played club football in the Eredivisie at the time of the World Cup. I don't think anyone is saying that going from Spurs to the Seattle Neon X-Box 360's is a step up in competition level, but is it really that bad?

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/23/mls-ranked-seventh-best-soccer-league-globally-can-it-break-into-the-top-five/

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, though, that ranking isn't strictly caliber of play. It also includes attendance, finances, and other off-the-field considerations. It's a good gauge of the improving health of MLS overall, but not the level of competition. The top end of the Eredivisie and Ligue 1 is quite a bit better than MLS, though the bottom of those leagues can get pretty weak.

To be fair, I have no idea what his options were in Europe. I have to think there were some that would have been a lot more impressive than Seattle.

9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

On a semi-related note:

I'm heading south next weekend to visit a buddy of mine in greater Madison. Normally, we'd go to Miller Park, but the Brewers are having their issues (not the least of which being they're on the road next weekend), and we're probably going to try something new. That something is probably going to be a Chicago Fire home game against Montreal.

I've never taken in an MLS game and actually very little familiarity with the league, as there is no team in what I'd consider my "home" market. In fact, the Fire are the only MLS team within 700 miles of my current location.

Any thoughts on Toyota Park and insights into the current state of both teams would be appreciated.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Went along to Fratton Park as part of a League Two record attendance (just for when it's been known as League Two, mind, not the old Third Division or older Division Four). Pompey dominate the first 25 against Oxford, go a goal up on a fine cross and header ... then utterly, completely collapse and lose 4-1.

Hopefully not a harbinger of things to come in the fan-owned era.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Sounds fun.
    When I went to Columbus for the Crew/Wigan match, I got a lot of help (meaning, finding a good bar and food) from the facebook page of the supporters union for the Crew. Maybe the Fire has one as well?

12. AtticusFinch

AtticusFinch Member

Yeah, guess I don't get the Dempsey move either. I mean, if he's moving back to the States to be closer to his family, that I can understand, but as much as the MLS has improved (and vastly so), it's still not on the same level as any of the big European leagues. And don't get me wrong, I enjoy MLS for what it is, and will try to catch a game if it's on, but I just don't get the move.

Draft saved Draft deleted