1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

If Ronaldo and/or Bale leave, would they get Neymar?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Don't think PSG is interested in him leaving, and they can compete in any bidding war for any player.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

They would certainly try. Whether Neymar would be willing to pull a Figo and take on the ocean of shit that comes with it is quite another matter.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Kompany gets hurt in a warm up match and may miss the tourney. Guy has been cursed.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

typefitter, SpeedTchr and cjericho like this.
  7. Webster

Sane was in the top 5 offensive players in the Prem this year. Can't believe he doesn't get a spot with Germany.

8. typefitter

This is true, and it's a shock, but he has been shit for the national team, which is showing a few cracks.

I sat down with my footy kid and his Panini sticker book last night and worked our way through the groups and the matches. Tough groups to predict are D (Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria) and E (Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia). I came out with France winning, which surprised me a little, but I like them over Germany right now.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Backline issues will at some point do France in, if Pogba doesn't do it first. But they ought to make the quarters at a minimum. BTW, there is a street in his hometown of Bayonne named after Didier Deschamps. I wonder what happens to it if Les Bleus bomb out.

10. typefitter

This might come out wrong, but I basically look at a World Cup as Euro, plus Brazil. I know they were playing in France in 2016, but France looked super solid, beat Germany, and could have easily won that final against Portugal. Part of me wonders whether Brazil come out roaring this summer, but I feel like Neymar is tenuous, and Germany seem to have a bit of a speed wobble going on. Not sure about Spain, which could surprise me, and de Gea might change games all on his own. But I still like France.

11. Webster

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted