1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The money that PSG is talking about for Neymar is batshit. Imagine if the price of oil hadn't plummeted the past few years.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just a matter of time. USMNT been knocking all night. Altidore rips it open.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Dempsey!

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

US is playing much, much better tonight. Good to see.

(I can be a fanboi. Ain't no journalist no more.)

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Good performance. Dempsey was magical as a sub. I hope he goes to Russia in that role.

6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I hope Howard goes too. He is, and remains, The Man.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, personally I haven't seen anyone who would make me think Howard shouldn't be put out there every match.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Dempsey is still the best non-Wonderboy player on the team. He might need his minutes limited in Russia but will be vital.

Other thoughts:

- U.S. dominated most of the game. Just a few mistakes at the back that Howard erased.
    - Morris and (especially) Zusi should not be getting minutes. Both are liabilities at this point.
    - Besler/Gonzalez might be our best pairing at the back, but will be exposed against better competition.
    - Very happy with Bruce so far. The team is playing much more freely.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Looks like Jamaica vs USA.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Was at the Spurs-Roma game tonight. Spurs has a pretty strong US following, especially with the newcomer crowd.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I wonder how much of it is because their team nickname is recognizable to American sports fans (even though they have nothing to do with Pop's gang). Another factor I'd be curious about is if the Jewish connection is made. I know Spurs are something of the club most aligned with London's Jewish population.

12. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Because Clint Dempsey had a spell there?

Inky_Wretch likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted