1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Nice work by Captain Michael Bradley on his anti-Trump statement.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. Webster

Amazing the Leicester has gone from EPL champs to one point above the relegation places. They have looked truly awful of what I've seen and yet they are still alive in the Champions League.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I'm happy to report that Chelsea has mathematically avoided relegation.

The race for Europe is tight — just 2 points separating second place and sixth place. The relegation battle at the bottom is interesting as well at the 2/3 pole.

4. Webster

It's pretty great with 13 games left. I'm in the tank for United, but they have been looking great. Then again, Spurs can seem unplayable at times and so have Liverpool.

5. Webster

Barca got their butts whipped today. 4-0 at PSG.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I hope Sutton United wins the whole damn thing.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

If the season ended now Newcastle and Brighton & Hove Albion would be promoted.

Lots of familiar names in the Championship: Norwich (7), Fulham (8), Barnsley (9), Aston Villa (16), Wolverhampton (18), QPR (19), Wigan (22), Blackburn (23). Bolton is in League One, Portsmouth and Blackpool in League Two.

It's hard to get back up once you've been relegated. Wolves have been down three years since the Mick McCarthy era, Blackburn at least as long since the Steve Keane disaster. Roberto Martinez must have been a magician to keep Wigan up for so long, same with Owen Coyle at Bolton.

8. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

And that's without even mentioning Leeds! Talk about difficulty getting back to where you were.

Webster likes this.
  9. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Or two-time European Cup champions Nottingham Forest (17th), who have had six managers (not counting caretakers) in the last 4 1/2 years. It's been tough getting into the Premier League when both of my favorite clubs (Forest and Villa) are still going nowhere in the Championship.

For the record, the only ones of the 24 Championship clubs who have never played in the Prem are: 2. Brighton, 3. Huddersfield, 10. Preston, 15. Brentford, 20. Bristol City, 21. Burton Albion, 24. Rotherham.

There are also Premiership alumni? in League 1 (1. Sheffield Utd., 3. Bolton, 5. Bradford City, 13. Charlton Athletic, 15. MK Dons*, 19. Oldham, 22. Swindon Town, 24. Coventry) and League 2 (5. Portsmouth and 21. Notts County).

Donny in his element likes this.
  10. Webster

The fact that they are gouging their supporters for tickets to this game and partnering with The Sun makes them less than cuddly.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Backup GK ate all the pies. They need money for more.

12. Webster

Turned on the NBA Celebrity Game. I think that Oscar Schmidt might be the 3rd string keeper for Sutton United.

Draft saved Draft deleted