1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

It's a hard job to have for two cycles and if you are as arrogant as Klinsi, you need to be right about your tactics and get your team ready to play.

I didn't mind him leaving Landon out (although I think he never should have brought him to camp). He whiffed by making Dempsey captain instead of Bradley and we never settled on a backline.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Bottom line, Arena should be able to squeeze 16 points out of the next eight qualifiers. The talent is certainly there to do that. Some of MLS' best might actually get a chance, too.

3. Webster

I wonder what his take will be on the German contingent.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think @Webster had it right - Klinsmann was fine enough for one cycle, but the rah-rah shit got old and he had to rely on his tactical acumen, which is nearly nil (Jögi Löw was always the brains of the operation in 2006). I think a lot of people got tired of having their intelligence insulted (MLS being first of these). Arena should be good enough for now, though since the Cup is in Europe, we'll probably suck anyway.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Montreal embarrassing MLS as the first leg of the Eastern Conference final at the Big O is delayed because the penalty areas were too narrow.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Another great moment in the history of that vaunted building.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Tip of the cap to Steven Gerrard, who is apparently hanging up the boots with an eye for coaching.

I'm not a Liverpool fan, but that man had an RPG attached to his right leg. This goal is one of my favorites of all time, and was No. 1 on NEITHER of the compilations I saw on YouTube.

Also, props for being the subject of one of the better terrace songs AND maybe the best terrace mockery song I have ever heard.

9. Webster

Batshit ending to Swansea-Palace. Swans score 3 to go up 3-1 with around 20 to go, then Palace scores 3 in a row to go up 4-3 near the end. And then Swansea gets 2 goals in injury time to win the game and Bob Bradley's first win.

10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Webster likes this.
  12. Webster

I think that someone ran a Google search, came up with the chants and then thought that he had a hook to the story. He was wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted