1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 8)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Aug 2, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Gold Cup is finished. MLS just had the All-Star Game. WCQs loom on the horizon. Europe is gearing up.

Oh, and Deuce is reportedly heading to Seattle.

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1512434/clint-dempsey-join-seattle-sounders-tottenham-sources-say?cc=5901

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Why would be do this? He goes from forcing a transfer to play European soccer to this?

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This is fucked up if true.

4. Inky_Wretch

Everything is pointing to it being a done deal.

5. Gehrig

Gehrig Active Member

Maybe it's because he wants to raise his kids in the United States?

Just spit balling here.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Curious. It's certainly a coup for MLS if it happens, but if Klinsmann is consistent I expect him to sit Dempsey down and read him the riot act for moving to what he views as an inferior league at just 30 years old. No doubt one or both of Seattle and Deuce's reps will throw out the line of him wanting to help MLS grow and reach "the next level," whatever that may be. It just seems an odd move after he had at least three or four Premiership clubs trying to sign him last summer.

7. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Shocked, to say the least. Huge get for that neon team though.

8. Inky_Wretch

This has to be seen as a negative for the USMNT, right?

9. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Yeah. Three kids. Wife might want to be closer to family.

10. Inky_Wretch

$9m transfer fee for Tottenham, $32m over four seasons for Dempsey.

http://prosoccertalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/02/clint-dempsey-seattle-sounders-transfer-latest-news-rumors-tottenham-spurs-usmnt-usa/

11. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I struggle with understanding this, and the same thing when Donovan did it. Bottom line, it's his life, and if he'd be happier in Seattle in MLS instead of in Europe, it's really not my place to judge.

But for the life of me, I do not get passing up the opportunity to play for a good European team to sign with a domestic team. I would gleefully take a spot in Italy, Germany, the Netherlands, England, France, you name it. Your career's not that long. Pack what you can into it.

12. Inky_Wretch

Corruption? Eh, we might get back to it in 2014. Maybe.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dcunited/fifa-investigators-put-probe-of-alleged-corruption-by-chuck-blazer-on-hold-until-2014/2013/08/02/ede93c14-fb9d-11e2-89f7-8599e3f77a67_story.html

Draft saved Draft deleted