1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 14) — Sing Your Anthem Loudly Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 11, 2023.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I'll say. Pretty wild.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

And while the whistle had blown and RM had let down a little, why in the world was the offside flag up on such a tight call at the end? I’m not saying Bayern still would have scored, but that is exactly what the AR isn’t supposed to do.

3. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

For years I joked that some soccer-loving US billionaire should fund a soccer-specific, FIFA standards-compliant stadium in Fairbanks for the express purpose of playing World Cup qualifiers against anyone but Canada. Looks like this might be the closest I come to seeing that dream become a reality.

4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maybe in the winter, which is brutal enough (I have a relative who lives in Fairbanks). Minus-40º? No thank you. But the summers there are brief but actually quite pleasant, if you don't mind the mosquitoes.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Was in Fairbanks for the summer solstice 20 or so years ago and it was nice. But yes, those mosquitoes are brutal.

Twirling Time likes this.
  6. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Man U missing Europe would be a financial disaster for the club. They can still get there by winning the FA Cup or if a table qualifier wins the FA Cup, which would open up a lower spot. The Champions League looks out of reach, but at least a spot in the Europa League or Europa Conference League is attainable.

The Red Devils sit joint seventh in the PL table right now but are eighth on goal differential with 3 league fixtures left, with the first-place Gunners at Old Trafford next.

7. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

For fall or winter, yeah. We can keep playing Canada south of the Mason-Dixon line.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The FA Cup final is a Manchester derby, so the extra spot will exist, but at this point United need to pass Newcastle (-2) or Chelsea (even but behind on goal difference) to get one of those places.

Villa officially went out of Europe today, losing both legs to Olympiakos, but at this point any win for Villa or any loss for Spurs puts Villa in the 2024-25 Champions League. Spurs hosts Man City on Tuesday, which means Jack Grealish can still score the goal that puts Villa in the Champions League.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

For reasons I cannot fathom, Spurs usually play City tough. But they've hit the wall in a major way.

10. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

United’s injury problems are pretty crazy. No Bruno, Rashford, Martial, Mount or McT. Also, the are down their top 6 CBs (assuming that the decaying corpse of Jonny Evans is out) and both of their top LBs. Yet the manager refuses to play a more defensive style, instead bombing the FBs up the field. As a result, they can be walked through at will.

11. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I'd only prefer to get in that way on ironic reasons. Villa play Liverpool at home on Monday. Both clubs seem to be equally out on their feet so they could get a win there. At Palace on the final day. Not impossible, but Selhurst Park is not a place I'd want to go looking for a result.

12. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

I hope they fail at every turn.

Draft saved Draft deleted