1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 13) — Winter World Cup Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 5, 2022.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Might be joining you there next season. Huzzah?

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

It's always a little bit of a buzzkill when promotion involves the yo-yo clubs, but I'm kind of looking forward to finding out how Vincent Kompany ended up managing Burnley and just how good they are (they've lost twice in 42 games this season).

If the playoffs started today, the four teams would be Luton, Boro, Millwall and West Brom, but as Cosmo said, there's six more teams (Blackburn, Sunderland, Coventry, Preston, Norwich, Watford) within four points of sixth.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Burnley had spent six years in the Prem before last season's relegation, so I think they're less of a yo-yo than say Norwich, who seems to relish in going up and down every year. I agree, I'd be interested in seeing what Kompany can do there. Could see a Brentford-like run of at least middle-table success. My ideal scenario is Luton making it to Wembley and losing at the death and coming back to the Championship with their tails between their legs. Fucking scum.

4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

If I had to pick a team out of the playoff lot, I think I'd take Blackburn because, like Forest, it's weird to see a club with significant silverware out in the wilderness. Sunderland would probably get the most attention for obvious reasons. Millwall would probably be the buzziest. IIRC, Millwall supporters' reputation is rather overstated at least in recent vintage, but that would probably be a lengthy discussion.

Then again, I remember this guy: Football fan fought London terror attackers with his fists shouting 'f**k you, I'm Millwall'

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

There's a reason why other supporters were taunting us with "enjoy Millwall away, you c**ts!" as we were being relegated last year. Spoiler: We didn't. Got killed there. Though seeing the rebirth of the West Ham-Millwall derby would be something. They haven't been in the same league since 2011-12.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Arsenal is gift wrapping the title for City.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

What an unreal match. Damn.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Three draws in three games is bad. But 2 of them feel heroic.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  9. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Most depressing St. Totteringham’s day ever.

Webster and Inky_Wretch like this.
  10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And Wrexham have done it. Beat Boreham Wood 3-1 to gain promotion to League Two.

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Simply amazing for that city.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Owners with good intentions who cry when their team is promoted > Premiership owners.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted