1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (Version 10)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Webster, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Maybe we should have signed Mason Mount instead of Pulisic.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Some unforgivable shit there. Cornholed by Canada.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Is this a carryover from the Klinsman era, or is the U.S. now that bad? (sorry, Canuckistan).

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, I don't know. It could be one or the other or both. Taking a full damn year to find a new head coach didn't help either.

But the biggest problem was a lack of fight and passion. Tactics can suck. Players can be overmatched. The formation can be all wrong. But the USMNT has always had grit and tenacity. It didn't last night.

5. Inky_Wretch

The number of "Berhalter out" columns from the US soccer media today has been amazing.

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Top six in the FIFA World Rankings as of June 2020 automatically advance to the hex for CONCACAF qualifying, so the U.S. will have to fall precipitously to not make it. Currently:
    12 Mexico
    21 USA
    43 Costa Rica
    47 Jamaica
    67 Honduras
    72 El Salvador
    75 Canada, 76 Curacao, 77 Panama, 86 Haiti

That said, if you're going to make changes, you have to do it now. Hex play starts Aug. 31, and shit gets real then.

7. Inky_Wretch

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I should very much be thrilled with Watford’s point at Spurs today, although I’d be fine if we shot Kiko Femenia straight into the sun. He’s the only reason Spurs managed that draw.

9. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

What's this shit about the stadium Jumbotron saying Spurs' goal should have been disallowed by VAR? Did that actually happen?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Kind of. VAR did not disallow the goal, but upstairs official pushed the wrong scoreboard button. Later apologized.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

What Gee said. It was a goal. It hit Dele’s shoulder but was not a handball. Had Kiko Femenia not tackled Ben Foster, it would have never happened, thus my Kiko hate. Foster ripped into him immediately.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Foster needs to get that ball. He pulled out way before he made contact with his defender.

Draft saved Draft deleted