1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (V)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

The Economist has an idea — just auction off the hosting rights:
    http://www.economist.com/node/18681960?story_id=18681960

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sepp Blatter: Re-elect me or FIFA might cease to exist and be sucked into a black hole!

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2931/go-global/2011/05/13/2485013/sepp-blatter-re-elect-me-for-fifa-presidency-or-football

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Only a draw for Man U, but that's enough.

Massive, massive win for Blackpool, 4-3 at home to Bolton. Typical Blackpool. Hopefully it's enough to keep them up. They'll be happy Man U came back to get the draw and the title, as well.

But actually, since Wolves won as well, Blackpool are still in the bottom three, and will be going into the final day unless Birmingham lose by 3 tomorrow.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So if you're a Manchester sports editor, how do you lead the paper tomorrow? Especially if you're a tabloid.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

United.

A team full of detestable mercenaries who had to struggle against a much poorer club in a competition that's about to be put out to pasture doesn't add up to setting a record for league titles.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Surely you take your back page, draw a line down the middle and run a vertical celebration shot on both sides, with a banner like "CHAMPIONS!" Then split your inside pages.

If you're picking one or the other, I can see where it's United. But at the same time, they basically won the league last week. Wrapping it up was just a formality, even if they made it more difficult than it should have been. But even if they'd lost today, Chelsea would have just gakked it up tomorrow by drawing against Newcastle.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not a penalty for me. Robinson was way too slow, and there was no angle to shoot, but Chicharito's touch was so heavy, the ball was nearly out of play when he made contact.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Liverpool putting on a diving clinic in the first half against Spurs.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

See ya, Hammers.

10. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of fans. Good luck with Millwall next season. ;)

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Did you see the banner the Millwall fans had towed over Wigan's stadium by a plane?

Avram Grant - Millwall legend.

12. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I just saw the movie on Brian Clough today "The Damned United" and thought it was good.
    I hate Leeds but would like to see them back in the Premier League because it would be good for the game. I also want Forest back up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.