1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer thread (Part II)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sorry to bring the topic back on this... BigSoccer was a site setup by several people I know and Jesse. Jesse decided to stab the others in the back, broke out on his own and then charged people for what they were originally getting for free previously. I don't bemoan his desire to obtain funds. I do dislike that as a guy that doesn't even like or care for soccer he was able to generate funds off of people he could care less about.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Look I hate the war, but if we don't invade his ass is not celebrating ANY victory.

If I do recall, Saddam and his sons treated the national team like absolute shit. Basically any soccer success before we got on the scene was unthinkable because it's kind of hard to kick a ball when your feet are sore from canings.

I also wouldn't be surprised if US tax dollars were subsidizing this team in some fashion.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Another great game in KC tonight, late winner for the Wizards for a 3-2 win against Chivas USA.

Once they get it online, check out Kansas City's first goal at mlsnet. Screaming finish from about 30 yards out by Zavagnin, gave Guzan no chance.

And D.C. beat Club America in the Superliga, meaning the two U.S. clubs top pool B right now.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I heard that six Iraqi people died during the celebration when bullets shot from guns into the air descended back down into crowds.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Less than 48 hours until I get to see FC Dallas. Has it been announced yet whether Beckham will play in Texas? I am assuming not, but have been away from the internet and television for the last 48 hours.
    Thanks.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I would say he's highly doubtful. he was on the bench for the Galaxy on Saturday night, but didn't play.

I think they've targeted the Toronto game on Aug. 5 for his proper debut.

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

well that sucks, i hope a big crowd still shows and there is a good atmosphere.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Troop, the "protectionist" piece from the Guardian was a crock.
    He's saying the Bundesliga and Serie A are to be envied by the EPL.
    Bundesliga teams no longer can compete in Europe, and Italy draws poorly and has undergone scandals that make the Tevez mess look like a kindergarten dust-up.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Adu's gone, and the good news for MLS is apparently there is a cut for the league out of any sell-on fee Benfica receives for him.

Now what I want to know is what the heck that sponsor is on the front of his jersey.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/07/31/bc.eu.spt.soc.adu.benfica.ap/index.html

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Rossi sold to Villareal. Not that I'd go begging after him, but the fact that he didn't go to Italy means that he's somewhat less likely to play for the Azzurri senior team.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So, is this a big deal that Beckham isn't playing tonight?
    The Dallas Morning News and Fort Worth Star Telegram are shredding FC Dallas and the MLS because of all the hype built up and now he isn't even coming.
    Apparently they had billboards everywhere and had been heavily promoting it.
    His non-appearance made A1 in both papers.

Draft saved Draft deleted