1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer thread (Part II)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

From what I've heard, Harkes is definitely getting better. From the bits of the LA-DC game I caught today, he seemed to work pretty well with Dellacamera.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

As you rightly should. And I like where Harkes has gotten to, like Beaker. Wynalda was full of bombast, and was fun to listen to, but Harkes has always been a more reasonable analyst of the game, and he's now settled into a rhythm thanks to his experience.

3. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

Today wasn't one of his better days in my opinion, but he is head and shoulders above Wynalda; his commentary is about the game and not his own bullshit like that windbag used to drone on about ....

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Harkes does very well on MLS: Honest, insightful.
    On USMNT, he goes completely fanboy. Too bad.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

What's interesting here is that two years ago, everybody was griping because the accented guys were excluded from the World Cup and guys who "speak American" like Dave O'Brien did the work.
    ESPN keeps giving us more free soccer, and they keep getting ripped. I sometimes wonder why they bother.

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

SoccerFan isn't SoccerFan if he doesn't have something feeding his persecution complex. If it's not ESPN, it's Frank DeFord, Jim Rome, football, baseball, the "mainstream media," etc., etc.

Odds are he'll be calling up his local sports talk radio show today, slyly slipping past the call screener and ambushing the meathead duo with Euro 2008 talk. Said meatheads will hang up on him, rip him on air and send SoccerFan scurrying back to BigSoccer to relay his mistreatment and receive further enabling from his fellow fanbois.

Draft saved Draft deleted