1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer thread (Part II)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 24, 2007.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Pastor and/or any other NYCers didn't make it to last night's charity match in Chinatown featuring Steve Nash and Thierry Henry.

2. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Round 3 doesn't start until July 19, so I think he'll be in with time to spare.

3. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Don't know, but the "injured" Claudio Reyna decided to play without telling RBNY.

Ives rips him a new one (and rightfully so) here:
    http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2008/06/reyna-display-a.html

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Sorry. I have my father-in-law visiting. This limits the amount of soccer time for me. :(

It was stated weeks ago that Reyna was going to play. That he ended up doing so is really no surprise. The guy is soft as all hell.

The bar that I regularly attend is fairly well known in the area regarding soccer. A multitude of players and managers have come through there. Last year, a member of the RBNY management team was in the bar. According to the guy, Reyna was doing some stretches and pulls and then walks over to the coach and says, "Sorry, coach. I can't go today. I think I pulled something."

Ripping Reyna does no good. The guy doesn't care.

5. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

6. TrooperBari

7. TrooperBari

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

True. Smyth needed to be put out to pasture as soon as ESPN decided it wanted to be serious about soccer.

However, I see no mention of Julie Foudy's in-studio presence for practically the entirety or this tournament. Conveniently left out, perhaps, since it would mean there was an American analyst significantly involved in coverage?

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't understand pimping Dellacamera for pbp gigs just because he's "an American voice."

Does he have the knowledge of the Euro teams like Healey and Rae? Would he be willing to forego doing MLS games for a couple of weeks to take a crack at Euro 2008?

Thing is, I don't even notice the accents of the pbp guys. Perhaps it's from watching all those EPL and SPL matches over the years.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Dellacamera is also the lead PBP guy for the Red Bulls on MSG, his plate is pretty full as far as weekly duties and travel for games are concerned.

11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Smyth is useless. But so are Shep, Balboa and Wynalda.

12. derwood

derwood Active Member

Messing is terrible. During WC games he always tries to explain offside rules to the "new" viewers. Harkes is ok but still learning.

Draft saved Draft deleted