1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Soccer Thread (IV)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Inky_Wretch, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Freddy isn't especially fast and isn't especially strong. He's not a Maradona or a Messi. At best, he will be a middle of the road player in a middle of the road league.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

USMNT v Mexico start time set for 3 pm Eastern in Azteca. That's right a Wednesday afternoon game. Grant Wahl tweets it's to subject the US to more heat and smog.

3. derwood

derwood Active Member

Terrible.

4. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

And thus you can see the desperation of their national team.

That means, it will be 8pm where I will be. Not too bad...

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

This is pathetic. I'd love for it to rain that day and have all their illustrious plans go to shit.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It sucks for the U.S., but I think it's a rather cool piece of gamesmanship.

7. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I have my ticket for the USA's quarterfinal appearance in the Gold Cup. Anyone else making the trek?

Adding to this, I’m fine with their plan, but I would also find it very humorous if it rained on them and the USA went on to win. That would be fantastic.

8. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

That just means it will start at 2:00 local time.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Awesome. I will steal this.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

- 2-0! 2-0! 2-0!!!!!! U.S. fans are really enjoying running our mouths behind a seven-year-old result here . . . .

- Mexico scheduling the game at a time that will make the visiting team uncomfortable is no more "pathetic" than having a game against a warm-weather opponent in February in Columbus.

Great gamesmanship by Mexico.

11. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Except, looks like it's 3 p.m. local time:

http://www.soccerbyives.net/soccer_by_ives/2009/07/usamexico-world-cup-qualifier-set-to-kick-off-at-4pm.html

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Come on now, Piotr. That was the same result multiple times over the last 7 years. In fact, I think there has only been about 2 or 3 meetings in that time which did not result in a 2-0 US win.

We scheduled the game for an appropriate time of day. They are shifting their kick-off because their national team is reeling. The old confident Mexico didn’t do this stuff. They simply scheduled the game at Azteca and said, “Deal with this.” Now, they need to go even further by scheduling the game in the afternoon.

I believe that is the part where people are referring to it as “pathetic.”

Draft saved Draft deleted