1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SNAP economy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

and a company that now wants their employees to take mandatory health tests.

cross thread - CVS based in Woonsocket.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

The story is brilliantly well-written, but he made some major mistakes.
    I noticed a comment by a Woonsocket resident saying those places weren't Woonsocket. Thought it was BS. It wasn't.
    The International Meat Market in the story isn't in Woonsocket. It's in Central Falls, which is another city in Rhode Island that isn't close - in RI terms - to Woonsocket. http://www.internationalmeats.com/packages.html
    There isn't a Wal-Mart in Woonsocket; it's across the border in North Smithfield, which is another town.
    The tire store isn't Cheap-O tires - it's The Tire Warehouse, on the same street as the Liquor Store.

While the last two are minor details, placing a store that is clearly not in Woonsocket in Woonsocket is a serious error.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I noticed that too. I'm glad you looked in to it, since the comment seemed well-written enough to be taken seriously.

There should be some major corrections running.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Wait, Rhode Island isn't just one big city?

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It's a suburb of Connecticut.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow that's bad but now it makes more sense. Central Falls is the armpit of the world and by Rhode Island standards not that close to Woonsocket.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One big city? Heck, it's not even an island.

8. Is the International Meat Market one of those low-rent type of groceries that end up costing more than Walmart in the end?

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

A very sad story. Very well done, but sad.

10. Rhody31

No. It's actually well respected. My father in law swears by the place and he's a serious foodie.
    Central falls is 15 minutes from Woonsocket, but in Rhode Island terms that's a lifetime. In fact, that's almost a overnight trip.
    I'm not even kidding.

11. Just wondering on that since there was a low -end grocery story where I grew up that seemed to be favored by the poor, but didn't offer much savings, except for a few sale items. It also sold Edy's Ice Cream, which was a little suspicious, as I lived out West.

12. Rhody31

I shouldn't say it's known for groceries, but it's a legit butcher shop. There aren't many places to go in central falls, so I'm not surprised how many people go there. WalMart or Target would probably be a cheaper option for most of the groceries, but the people described in the story likely cant find transportation for the 15 minute drive.

Draft saved Draft deleted