1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SNAP economy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There's nothing that drives me into a quiet, seething rage more than the constant drumbeat of bitching about "welfare queens with iPhones!!!111"

A cell phone in 2013 can do about 200 things. It's a fucking bargain. A cell phone saves people money.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But an I Phone? Not the most economical around.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Political discussion that's about to get shut down aside, Eli Saslow is a quality guy and terrific reporter/writer. Brilliant. His Ten Letters was my mass Xmas gift in 2011. Went to a local reading and asked/begged/cajoled him to sign about 10 for various family and friends. You feel like you get to know the people Eli writes about and that's key in my book. His wife Rachel is extremely good, too.

Writer couples? They have to be among the best, any age bracket.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I don't read Eli's work nearly enough. He's tremendous.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

http://www.amazon.com/Ten-Letters-Stories-Americans-President/dp/0307742555/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1363797872&sr=8-1&keywords=ten+Letters

Thank me later. Paperback cheaper than the Kindle

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Nice. And it's a Prime item. Even better.

Thanks. It's ordered.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Before this gets locked, can I make the obvious silly joke?

OH, SNAP!!!!

Thank you, I'll be here all night.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Moddy's tired of these shenanigans.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Funny how Baron thinks those who know better should get more of a chance to correct their lives than people who probably have struggled making the right choice throughout their lives.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I would think the lease would have already spelled out to them the consequences of not paying their rent. So there's their warning.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

A few observations:

1. The husband should really sacrifice a few hours of sleep and watch the kids while mommy shops if it's that important.

2. I'm guessing that they had to go to one of those "We finance anyone" car dealerships to lease their car, which explains the high payments. Either they didn't get approved at a dealership that wouldn't take advantage of their situation, or they just didn't know any better. You'd be surprise how often that happens with the poor.

3. Does anybody else have Flex plans through work? The ones that they take a certain amount of money out of your check every week and you put it toward medical expenses? I do, and technically it's and EBT card. I put about $1,000 on it this year and ran out the other day (we cycle through in August). I still got a weird look from the cashier when it didn't cover my whole purchase.

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

While I know Moddy doesn't care for the direction the debate is going here, the value of a well-told story like Saslow's is that it does what journalism is supposed to do -- tell a story about what is going on in the real world. It's not about "good" people and "bad" people, but about how the life cycle and economy of this town, once built around industry, is now built around, basically, poverty and government support. Then you can take from it what you will.

Draft saved Draft deleted