1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Smoking Lamp Is Lit

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by OTD, Aug 9, 2008.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

. . . throughout Western Pennsylvania.

Here for my wife's family reunion, we go into a restaurant for lunch. Many people smoking. "Do you have a non-smoking area" I ask. No, replied Verleen, or whatever the waitress' name was. So we sit and a minute later Verleen brings us an empty, but dirty, ashtray for our table. She just assumed we'd need it, she said.

Check into our hotel--no non-smoking rooms available. Room smells like the felt on a crap table at the Gold Spike. Management brings smoke eater, but all of us, including my non-drinking son, awake with headaches.

Dinner last night--different restaurant, but again, everyone's eating and smoking. Holy crap, do they hand out Camels at the state line or something?

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

They have two sections: smoking and chain smoking.

3. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Where specifically in Western PA are you??

4. SportySpice

SportySpice Member

Gawd, that's awful. You might as well have requested to sleep overnight at the local pub.
    What's the regional song there? Emphy-see-ma (clap clap clapclapclap) Emphy-see-ma (clap clap clapclapclap)

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

You've got to have a high intensity flame to get those chains lit.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's why I'm glad every restaurant in the city where I work is smoke free.

My family is full of smokers, and I've gotten to where I can't stand being around the stuff.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's disgusting, OTD. Love the Verleen line, however.

Two years ago, Little Bird and I traveled to Victorville for one of his soccer tournaments. Since he had an early-morning game the first day, we spent the night in Victorville, rather than wake up at Oh-Dark-30 and drive the 45 minutes east.

Only place we could find has only smoking rooms left -- a fact we didn't learn until we got there, since it wasn't on their website. I woke up with a headache and Little Bird woke up twice coughing. Amazingly, he played pretty well that day.

We gave the room up to another player on our team, who couldn't find a room, and drove to-and-fro the next day.

It really makes a difference, not having to inhale that lingering crud while you sleep.

8. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

So glad they've passed smoking bans in the city I live.

9. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Come on now, the dangers of smoking are overstated.

10. Writer33

Writer33 Member

In Kentucky, you get seated quicker asking for the non-smoking section.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I had a huge culture shock when I moved from Montana to where I am now. Montana has a smoking ban (including in bars) and here doesn't. I can't go out very often here, cause I get really sick when I'm around cigarette smoke for any amount of time.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'm glad for smoking bans, but the first time I ever really noticed it was after a recent concert. It was a loud, sweaty rock concert, but after I'd been home for a while it felt like it had never happened. I realized it was because I didn't smell like "concert" with my clothes and hair all smoky. It was strange.

Draft saved Draft deleted