1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The smaller the ball the better the writing?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jake_Taylor, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

It really bothers me that I instantly thought of jai-alai, then scrolled down and saw someone had already mentioned it.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If by "better" Plimpton or whoever it was meant "more pretentious" he was on to something. Holy shit, the man's OWN football book was a million times better read and sold a bazillion more copies than either his golf or baseball books. I have a hard time thinking Plimpton would be the author of that faruous statement.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I guess it's because I grew up in England that I've always thought that soccer had some pretty great writers like Brian Glanville from England and Simon Kuper from Holland, but in Europe soccer is all we really care about so is inevitably draws the best writers.

As far as non-ball sports, boxing has always been rife with great pieces, especially during the hey-day of the sport. You can still find it now when a great fight is on, but those are becoming few and far between.....

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

We all know how the late Bon Scott felt about this.

He's got big balls
    and she's got big balls
    but we've got the biggest! balls of them all!

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

beach ball writers would be pissed to hear about this. kickball writers, too.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Well, it would explain why there's never been any BASW entries about this:

[​IMG]

7. golf produces some of the worst writing in the biz

way too many guys trying to be great instead of just hammering out a main bar and notes

8. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

That's the problem with this country. Too many people trying to be great.

9. joe

joe Active Member

We'll find out with the U.S. Open finish today.

10. It's a problem when all those people can't pull it off and end up with an unreadable blob of pretentious crap. Or haven't you read golf copy lately?

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

And yet the writing on The Prisoner was some of the best in the history of television.

http://www.rhuthun-cymru.co.uk/ruthintc2/daytours/theprisoner.jpg

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted