1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SJ.com Ultimate Fantasy (baseball) League

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Feb 14, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

For years, I was in an intense fantasy-baseball league with friends. After moving to another state, it became too much of a pain to get back there for the draft each year so I decided to leave that league.

All this leaves me to wonder what sort of SportsJournalists.com leagues usually are set up. Have there been NL-only, AL-only leagues and combined leagues? I've enjoyed playing in the SportsJournalists.com fantasy hockey leagues and want to join one of the baseball leagues.

It would be interesting, if Yahoo! allowed for it, to have a combined league of 30 teams. If they limit leagues to 12 teams, then a combined league would have so many free agents that there never would be trades. We have the same problem in fantasy hockey because there hardly ever are trades in our 12-team league.

According to Yahoo!, you can start signing up leagues on Friday.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Re: Fantasy baseball

There's only one TRUE SportsJournalists.com fantasy baseball league [/snobby NIAFL member] :D

Seriously, tho, Yahoo doesn't limit a league to 12 teams. It's the commissioner's perogative when they sign the league up, I believe. They have roto along with head to head leagues.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I'd be in rookie ball this season, but I'd be interested in joining.

4. ondeadline

It seems like head-to-head might be a bit unfair considering how September baseball (which would be the fantasy playoffs) becomes with roster expansion. Does anybody have any experience with head-to-head baseball leagues.

5. Msaint

Msaint Member

I've tried head to head and don't like it for the reason you mentioned. While it does give you some of that competitive/smacktalk atmosphere that makes fantasy football enjoyable (to me anyway), the September roster expansions do make it a little challenging down the stretch, and baseball has always been more about winning categories/hauling in points over the long haul than beating your pals from week to week.

As for flexibility of leagues, I know that ESPN is going totally free this year and will be fully customizable league-/scoring-wise, so you could prob have as many teams as you want, do H-to-H or roto, and maybe even do the unusual combined set-up you mentioned above. And commonly pay features like live scoring, etc. will also be free. I've been a "Yahoo guy" for a while but will likely switch one of my leagues over to ESPN for the free extras and to see how their new game is.

6. WSKY

WSKY Member

You can already sign up for fantasy — and there's been drafts too — at mlb.com

7. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Disagree. Fantasy sports is ALL ABOUT beating your buddies in head-to-head matchups.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Agreed 100 percent. Roto is boring. Although, it might be more fun if you're just in a public league.

9. WSKY

WSKY Member

I guess drafts start Feb. 15, sorry

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

Roto is OK, but head-to-head, talking shit to co-workers if much more fun. Plus it gives them another reason to hate me, and another reason to show them just how much better I am than they are.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I prefer points, because I'm a championship snob. With points, the best team will just about always win. H2H is more of a crapshoot. Also, I want the only strategy to be getting the best team, not who will still have something to play for in the last week of the season. One of many reasons I (unlike most) like baseball more than FB. Bye weeks & won't have it all wrapped up by week 16 are not what I want to measure.

12. ondeadline

I much prefer head-to-head. I'm in two fantasy-hockey leagues, one that's head-to-head and one that's points based. I have a lot more fun with the head-to-head league. I'd be all for head-to-head if not for the playoffs being played during September.

I just checked and the ESPN league is limited to 20.

Draft saved Draft deleted