1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The single most historic modern stadium in the world"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mr. X, Jun 18, 2006.

1. http://www.gaa.ie/page/bloody_sunday.html
    There's historic and then there's historic.

2. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Ohio University. Two baseball classes (1865-mid 1920s, mid 1920s-present) with the great Charles Alexander. And yes, getting college credits for talking baseball for a four hours a week almost felt like stealing.

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

Wonder if that's available through distance learning? I'll have to check that out. ;D

4. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

It doesn't belong on this list but I've always had a soft spot for Forbes Field after watching games there as a kid in the '50s. It was a dump, but a cool dump. Loved that place, and Maz was my man.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dodger Stadium is the only MLB stadium I've been to where I've encountered that situation. Haven't been to the Cell, though.

In the last 15 years, I have been to ... allow me a moment of self-important reminiscing here ... Fenway, Yankees, Wrigley, Tiger Stadium, the Vet, both Baltimores, both Atlantas, both Cincinnatis, Colorado, Anaheim, S.D., Houston, both Arlingtons, Tampa, Miami ... not once have I NOT been allowed to roam freely throughout the concourses at any level. Until, of course, Chavez Ravine.

That's my favorite part of a new stadium, taking in the view from every angle. (Not to mention ... sneaking into the box seats behind the dugout around the seventh inning when the ushers stop caring!) Maybe others have encountered that situation in other stadiums, or maybe things have changed since, say, 9/11 or a specific incident (i.e. the Ligues), but I just haven't found that to be the case.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

... and Nelson Mandela gave a speech there after he was released from prison, and put on a Yankee hat.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

so? he still can't hit a curve

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Sure it belongs. I think this thread has long since evolved into a list of favourite stadiums rather than historic stadiums. And why not? Every stadium is historic in some way. The Cubbies may not have ever won a World Series at Wrigley but that is where the Babe called his shot in 1932.

And, yes, he did. Even if he really didn't. Like the editor tells Ransom Stoddard, "when the legend becomes fact, print the legend."

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Soldier Field is not getting enough love on this thread. It's hosted football since 1924, a Dempsey-Tunney title fight in 1927, a NASCAR race in 1956, the World Cup in 1994, the Grateful Dead's last concert in 1995, a slew of Army-Navy games and -- for modernity -- it was named one of the five best new buildings in the world by the New York Times after renovation in 2003. This is to say nothing of its neoclassic aesthetic beauty or what it commemorates.

It has witnessed much more in range and depth than Lambeau Field.

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Purely as a football stadium, nothing approximates the OB, but Soldier Field and the L.A. Coliseum had some depth outside of football.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think that Soldier Field is probably more noteworthy than Lambeau Field because of its overall diversity and the overall "myth" for lack of a better term of Green Bay.
    But keep in mind that the Bears also played several years in Wrigley Field; the game with Gale Sayers' six touchdowns for instance.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

You forgot one thing: It was booted from the National Register of Historic Places because the renovation destroyed too much of what made it historic in the first place. Neoclassic beauty?! It's a ghastly glass spaceship just arrived from Lovetron.

Draft saved Draft deleted