1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Simmons Site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 28, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

WBCC: this thread is much more interesting when it is off track. If Sonner doesn't work at Deadspin, the vitriol in support of Deadspin is mystifying

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

By the way, is not very ballsy for Craggs to rip on ESPN while ESPN is on the brink of hiring him? Not that Lynn Hoppes didn't 100 percent deserve it, but...

3. GidalKaiser

GidalKaiser Member

I look forward to the new site and what it will bring.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just think if Bill Simmons, Mitch Albom and Mike Lupica had formed a consortium to buy sj. We'd be a parking lot by now.

5. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

William of Greenwich's readers aren't getting any younger. Someday they'll even be old.

Whatever else you can say about the guy, going from pariah to patron is a stunning thing.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Ground Zero.

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

I thought when this was originally announced - and I might be wrong - this was going to be some way to draw in younger readers. I don't think naming your site grantland.com does that. Not that I think it will be the site's downfall, but I don't think it is going to help.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think it's going to be a big success. Seriously.

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm intrigued by the premium (my word, not Simmons') advertising model they're undertaking, only having a few sponsors, etc. It seems like Simmons, who I think of as the Mountain Dew of sportswriting, is trying to make this into a premium brand, and that also interests me.

10. Until Simmons fails miserably at something he's producing, it's foolish to bet against him. I'm guessing a lot of people thought he had bitten off more than he could chew with "30 for 30", and that turned out to be pretty outstanding.

This site will succeed primarily because of Twitter. Every time a new story goes up, the author will Tweet it and his/her loyal followers will click the link and retweet it. Through those retweets, more people will see how good those writers are and follow them on Twitter. Then there's Simmons himself and his 1.3 million Twitter followers who will be all over this. Although the name of the site is pretentious, I can't imagine a scenario where this will fail.

11. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

How much do names really matter? What is any brand name before it becomes big?

12. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

When it is a name people need to type in to get to it, I think it has some importance. And grantland.com is not intuitive in any way. Of course, having a marketing machine like ESPN behind it could help alleviate many concerns.

Draft saved Draft deleted