1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Simmons Site

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

My take:

- Daulerio wasn't trying to hurt Craggs' job prospects at Grantland. Craggs had done that himself with the Hoppes piece.
    - Unrelated to my first point: Daulerio is a piece of shit.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Trust me. You don't hurt my feelings. You just damage my ability to give your opinions on certain matters any credibility. This being one.

I'm sorry you're a bitter former newspaper guy who believes he was treated badly. Or whatever the fuck happened. But Daulerio wasn't trying to damage Craggs' job prospects.

"It is my hope, however, that Walsh will see that Tommy's exceptional writing talent shouldn't be passed over because of some philosophical disagreements he's had with several of ESPN's editorial and corporate decisions while he's a writer at Deadspin."

And like I said, I'd bet Craggs was fine with the piece. Anyone who reads Deadspin (OMG!! People actually read that shit??!!? But it's not real journalism!!111) knows that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Jesus, Sonner. Twist the knife a little more.

4. JackReacher

That wasn't meant as a low blow, although it seems like it was. My apologies. I was simply trying to connect the agenda-driven dots that I think led to his off-base take on the story in question. That's it. Not everyone is out to damage someone else's career.

Or some shit. Whatever. I don't really even care that much.

Again, my apologies if that came off as a low blow. It was not meant that way. And I hope he knows that.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It always breaks my heart when CAA bros fight.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Obviously.

Bitter former newspaper guy? Good to see you paid zero attention to my career arc, such as it was. I have zero agenda here, unlike the other issue you brought up (and I'm glad you did, b/c it's so obviously connected to THIS).

And find me one post where I express surprise people read Deadspin. It's not my cup of tea, but I'm not stupid enough to think people inside and outside the business--even bitter former newspaper guys who aren't actually bitter former newspaper guys--don't read it. I stand by my contention that it was a backhanded, passive-aggressive attempt by Daulerio to ruin Craggs' career. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

But I'm wasting my time here, because you obviously don't care enough to even discuss this w/someone who has no credibility. Silly me. Why would I ever think otherwise?

PS: Don't flatter yourself. You'd have to work a lot harder to pull a Tony Skinn on me.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. JackReacher

Jesus.

Ok.

8. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

Wow that got weird.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Do you really think Daulerio wrote that without Craggs OKing it?

10. Just to get this thread back on track a little bit ... I'm not sold on grantland.com, but I hope it succeeds. It's great to see sites like grantland, byliner.com and Yahoo's Post Game popping up.

I hope it's a sign that there are readers out there besides us that are interested in high-quality stories, not just high quantity. As Moddy likes to say, "Give me something to read." These places will do that.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm hopeful it works, even though it's the competition. But history seems to say high-minded ideas about these kinds of things, particularly "long form," don't work very well with the largest web demographic.

My son thinks Bill Simmons is the greatest writer in the history of words. Somehow, I still love him.

My daughter isn't there -- but she loves Simmons too.

When filling out the ledger of why I want to keep on living, these aren't on the list.

12. Decent idea, pretentious name for the site. Expect nothing less from Simmons.

Draft saved Draft deleted