1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ship Be Sinking

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, May 14, 2011.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think what sent Posada into orbit was Cashman's impromptu press conference in 2nd inning.

In past approach has been to let things die down before talking. Cash must have wanted story out there.

Stories The Yankees do not want out die. See Burnett black eye last year.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Posada and Jeter are thick, stupid, prideful fucks. Their ownership was equally bull-headed not to ever let these lottery winners go and play for another franchise.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I would take this more seriously if it wasn't coming from YANKEEfan.

Have you ever dealt with Girardi? Bad guy. Oh, he was good to the beat guys in the '90s, b/c he knew what his post-career goal was. But everyone else? Bad guy. Not complicated, not intense, a flat-out bad guy. He's so ill-prepared to be a manager in New York, it's hilarious. But somehow flopping w/awful people skills and an irresistible urge to prove he's the smartest guy in the room in Florida (yeah yeah he won manager of the year--and got fired b/c he was such a pain in the ass) didn't stop him from getting this gig. LJB calls Posada and Jeter lottery winners? They're being managed by one.

As for Scioscia, once again and for the last time (until next week), I never said he was a bad manager. Just overrated. But feel free to misinterpret as you see fit b/c I said something truthful about your favorite team's manager.

4. Boom_70

Think "bad guy " is too strong. How many baseball managers do you know, who would stop the night of winning World Series, to pull a lady out of car that was about to blow up?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, that was an interesting typo. lol

I don't really care if he is a good guy or not, though I'm not impressed with his people skills or his managing. That said, I think it's a bit unfair to put the entire issue with the Marlins on him. Notice how he isn't the only manager they got rid of in the last few seasons who ended up getting hired for an even better job? That makes me wonder.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Not denying Jeffy Loria is a piece of work whose last two fires have ended up in better spots. But you have to admit, getting fired OFF a manager of the year award takes some kind of skill, even working for Loria.

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Liked this column on the situation by Bob Klapisch, especially the last few grafs.

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/pro_sports/baseball/klapisch/051511_Klapisch_Relationship_between_Jorge_Posada-Joe_Girardi_reaches_crisis.html

8. Boom_70

If the wheels come off it will be interesting to see what it does to attendance.

I could see a scenario where the stadium is back to the days of 20,000 - 25,000.

Next season could be a blood bath with season ticket holders. A lot of unhappiness over high prices and shoddy treatment.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

A .165 batter has no stature.

10. outofplace

Please. He's a Yankee from their most recent run of championships. He has stature, at least with the fans, long after it should be over. It's the same reason the fans and the organization deluded themselves into thinking Jeter was going to bounce back with a big season this year.

11. Boom_70

No - Most Yankee fans were concerned with Posada's ability to handle DH spot regardless of his past history.

12. outofplace

You and I must have been hearing from different Yankees fans.

Draft saved Draft deleted