1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Shield

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JNEWFIFTY, Sep 2, 2008.

?

Who is most likely to die when we're all said and done?

1. Vic

13.6%
  2. Shane

59.1%
  3. Ronnie

9.1%
  4. Aceveda

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other

18.2%
  1. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

Fuck. I put it at five over.

I worked at Fox in the winter of 2001 when they began running trailers for the show. Even then, me and my coworkers knew this show was going to be off the charts. As for characters, Vic Mackey may be the best of the last 30 years.

2. I'm just pissed there was 18 months between the sixth and seventh seasons. The plot is always incredibly complex, even for me, who has watched every episode of this show. And so tonight was very confusing, albeit a good episode. Not great, but that's because they were using tonight to get us re-oriented. I can only think the whole show ends one way. I was sad to learn that Shawn Ryan, the creator of the show (his real-life is the actress who plays Vic's ex-wife) wasn't able to be on set for the final week of shooting because of the writer's strike. He had to miss the finale being filmed. I wonder if we'll notice a difference.

3. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Olive brings up a good thought. I was just too damned excited about tonight to think about the future:

Who dies before it's all done? Ya know, some--body--has--got--to--go!

Hey Olive, what's that you heard about about Shawn Ryan? I'd like to read more about that.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Ronnie was awesome tonight - can't believe this was the same guy who would maybe get one or two lines an episode in season one.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Solid start to the season and Ronnie was great tonight in his increased role.

Can I post any spoiler content yet?

I thought Sean Ryan was on the set for the filming of all the episodes, but the writer's strike kept him out of the production facilities so they had to hold off on editing the final episode (or final 3 episodes) until it was over. Everything was set to go for The Shield earlier in the summer, but the Fox executives decided not to put The Shield up against the Olympics and opted until now to air it.

I'm going to be sad to see it go as its my favorite show. Anyone know how many episodes are in this season?

6. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

It is one of the best shows on TV. I loved it from the start of the first episode, but the ending grabbed me and refused to let go.

This series has had some of the most prolific -- yet disturbing -- scenes. (i.e. Burning the guys face on the stove).

I can't wait to see how it ends.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I have no idea how it ends, I really hope they don't go with the expected showdown at high noon between Shane and Vic and I don't know if I want to see Shane redeemed in Vic's eyes.

8. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

That was freakin' great last night. Pretty damn gory though, with the chopped off limbs and the streak of blood down the street, and the stuff that happened to the guy in the hotel room. Wow. And that's just the season premiere. One would assume it's going to "progress" from there, as far as what happens and how much they show. What a great series. Can't wait for next Tuesday.

9. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Finally finished watching and this was a heck of an episode. Loved Vic and Ronnie ambushing Shane at his own crib.
    This season should be awesome.

10. Highway 101

This is a very good description of The Shield for newcomers wanting to catch the last season and see what they've been missing, but also a solid summary of what devoted viewers have enjoyed.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/09/01/DDF412M1J1.DTL

"The Shield" has always been about police corruption, bad choices for good reasons, human frailty, justice versus vengeance and the end justifying the means. In the very first episode, Mackey shoots another cop in cold blood. The next five seasons were about the fallout from that and a series of other ethical failures, including the hijacking of "the Armenian money train" - stealing the profits from a deadly Armenian gang - which has been the dramatic catalyst from Season 2 until the bitter end of this final season. And anyone who doubts that "The Shield" will go out bitterly - and bloodily - hasn't been paying attention.

and...

What remains compelling about "The Shield" as it heads into its last hurrah are the gray areas and ethical gradations of the characters that have defined it. Creator Shawn Ryan found, in the Vic Mackey character, a likable monster. Much in the way that Tony Soprano's actions conflicted viewers, Mackey's poisonous mix of God-complex-meets-sanctimonious-criminality is hard to turn away from. Mackey is the ultimate anti-hero on television right now.

11. Highway 101

Chicka-Chick-Oawwwww!!!

[a bump before tonight's episode]

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Can't wait until I get home from work and watch the tape of tonight's episode

Draft saved Draft deleted