1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The serial critic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Oct 28, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Those of you in a management position, how much energy do you expend on the guy who, at least once a month or maybe once a week, e-mails with a bill of particulars on where you and your staff has made its many real and/or imagined missteps? Do you try to engage? Just "Thanks for Writing?" Send it directly to trash upon receipt?

I've got one, who's pretty savvy about getting noticed –– he e-mails the executive editor at the same time –– but has a kind of a lack of general understanding of the process. And can be a single issue guy on where he thinks we're shortchanging on coverage.

Maybe 1 of every 6 points he makes has merit, with gusts up to 2.5.

Any thoughts?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

There are more important things to worry about. People who bitch about the coverage of their favorite team need to be given about four seconds worth of your energy; enough time to skim the e-mail (just to make sure) and hit delete.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Who doesn't?

4. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

This guy, he doesn't seem to have a team, just an agenda. And, based on what I know about him, might have been in the business at one time. I guess I do let it get under my fingernails a little.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

What kind of agenda does he have? Is he looking for more coverage of a certain sport, more articles by a certain writer?

Either way. Open, read, delete. May be worth a reply when you have some down time, which is, well, never.

Quick story...the SE at my former paper told me about this parent of a HS athlete. If I remember correctly, her son was one of about four players that some RB ran over on his way to the end zone, or something like that. Anyway, the reporter listed the two defensive players most heavily involved in the play. The parent calls and bitches because her son's name was left out. "My son was one of the defenders that looked stupid on that play, and he didn't get credit!!!"

That's taking psycho parent to a new level.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Read, respond politely and try to do better on the things that he points out that are real issues.

7. 0-fer

0-fer Member

I always went with thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts, along with maybe a note that I'd consider the suggestions or whatever if any of the criticisms were valid.

I haven't been in the game long, but my thoughts were that it was important to acknowledge the readers, even if they were in fact idiots.

And of course, like Ace noted, if he's pointing out things that you see as real issues, I'd make an effort to fix them.

8. If you'd get your shit straight I wouldn't have to e-mail you all the time.

Would it kill you to get some Dodgers boxscores in the morning paper once in a while?

Huh?

9. JackReacher

If you responded to every angry e-mailer, you'd waste half the day. Skim the e-mails, determine which ones deserve your attention and which ones don't. Go from there.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

The ultimate serial critics:

[​IMG]

"They don't care for most things."

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Cap'n Crunch destroys the roof of your mouth.
    Golden Grahams is a delight until it gets soggy.
    Cinnamon Toast Crunch leaves your milk tasting like paste.
    Fruit Loo....oh, that's says serial

Sorry,

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    That guy stinks!

Draft saved Draft deleted