1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Seedy Underbelly of Debt Collection

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Aug 16, 2014.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Fantastic story about life as a debt collector. Quick, clean read. The black and white photos are lush and gorgeous if not over the top in the way the players are positioned in each scene.

This has real potential for the big screen. The bolded line is sexy and made me think of Mr. White, but in this case looks like King Kong Bundy's smaller cousin from Southie.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/15/magazine/bad-paper-debt-collector.html?ref=magazine&_r=0

2. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Fascinating, informative piece. As pure storytelling, I thought it built to a climax and then COMPLETELY fizzled, but that's the reality of nonfiction sometimes. Still very interesting. Glad I read it. Thanks.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Started it but haven't finished it.

On a personal note, about once every six months I'll get a call from a debt collector.

They'll name some amount, couple hundred bucks, and offer a payment plan.

I'll ask them what the bill was for and they'll say a Sears Card. I'll reply back with, I've never had a Sears card.

And ask for when and where the card was used. They'll tell me they'll send me more information or some such but I never hear back from them.

Six months later, the paper will have been sold to someone else and another collector will call.

This article, so far, explains why.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I once worked in b2b marketing for a debt collection agency. Shady as hell.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That was a really good read.

6. X-Hack

X-Hack Well-Known Member

Good read. Jake and I worked at the same publication about 15 years ago when he was right out of college. He was very talented. A bit full of himself, but overall a pretty good guy and I'm not at all surprised by his success.

7. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Quite interesting read, and just reinforces what I have thought as I battle student loan "debt" collectors 25 years on. I would applaud a law that forbids the selling of a loan.

8. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Just pay your bills, deadbeat.

9. Selling debt is not the issue.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

A law forbidding selling debt would have some interest effects on interest rates.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

What would the rationale be for a law forbidding the sale of debt?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

1) It would be stupid ...

2) It would hurt the very people it would, ostensibly, be oriented toward helping, and ...

3) It would be stupid

Draft saved Draft deleted