1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SEC vs. Everyone Else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bowl games are an iffy proposition for determining relative conference strength, and yet it's one of the few on-the-field pieces of evidence we have. Florida and Ohio State were playing for something last year. That's probably the only fair SEC-Other Conference argument in last year's bowl games.

In other bowl games, quite often one team shows up to play, and the other team has a number of issues.

-- Internal problems (Arkansas and whole Mustain thing last year).
    -- Coach on the way out (Les Miles in Alama Bowl 2004).
    -- Interim coach (Alabama under Joe Kines).
    -- Program on a downward spiral (Miami in 2005 Peach Bowl).
    -- Players ready for season to be over (pick your example).
    -- Damn. We had to settle for this bowl (any losing team in Shreveport).
    -- Etc.

There are very few times when a bowl game makes a definitive statement about one conference vs. another, in my opinion, and the reasons exceed what I've posted above.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Big Ten has six teams that would finish dead-ass last in the SEC. Either division.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

When did Cunningham become a columnist?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ole Miss is better than Minnesota.

It isn't better than anybody else. So no fucking way to that.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I instigated this fight last week and I'm fairly tired of it, so I'll just say this: The absolutism is what spurs disagreement here. In case anyone hadn't noticed, college football is a lot less predictable than it used to be.

Someone posts: Ohio State would have 2-3 losses in the SEC. You know what, I don't necessarily disagree. But, then again, how close is LSU to actually having three losses themselves?

I mean, come on. At some point you're clearly using circular logic here.

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I think its worth mentioning that the SEC could have 11 (spell out - ELEVEN) teams eligible for a bowl. I'm not saying this proves anything, but I think it supports the argument that the SEC is as deep a conference as we've ever seen.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Ole Miss would kick Michigan State's ass, probably Indiana and Northwestern too.

Purdue and Illinois, flip a coin.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not really. The Big Ten could easily have ten and it's down this year.

9. Mizzougrad96

It just proves there are way too many fucking bowls and that going to a bowl doesn't mean jack shit...

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Um, no it doesn't. Six wins means you're bowl eligible. It doesn't mean you'll go to a bowl.

11. Mizzougrad96

How often does a SEC or Big 10 team become bowl eligible and not go to a bowl?

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

First, the Sun Sentinel columnist uses the word "egalitarian" up near the top of his piece.
    Then, he calls FSU an "also-ran"

When The Seminoles whip BC this weekend, what will he be writing.

Let's watch.

Face it, people .,. it's a even year all around the country for college football.
    We have a lot of parity nowadays, folks. Gotta live with it and we still gotta release weekly listings for Top 25 polls.
    Polls are often over-hyped. This year that's the case for sure.

But watch the Seminoles this weekend.
    I'm guaranteeing a win here.

Draft saved Draft deleted