1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The SEC vs. Everyone Else

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by beefncheddar, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I'm not normally one of these people who says the Big 10 sucks every year, but the Big 10 sucks this year. It just does. Ohio State does not deserve to play in the national championship game with that schedule.

The Big East has more good teams than the Big 10, for certain. How is this an argument?

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

And yet, the Big 10's No. 3 and 4 teams last yeear beat SEC teams in bowl games.

3. Hammer Pants

Different year, sir.

Do the match-ups. Stack the top conferences against each other, top to bottom, and think about this year. What do you think would happen? Just curious.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

I am in a benevolent mood today. Don't count on it lasting too long.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Looking at the standings, if 1-8 in the Big East played 1-8 in the Big 10 this weekend we'd have these match-ups:

UConn vs. Ohio State
    West Virginia vs. Michigan
    Rutgers vs. Wisconsin
    Louisville vs. Purdue
    Illinois vs. Cincinnati
    Penn State vs. South Florida
    Northwestern vs. Pitt
    Indiana vs. Syracuse

At worst it's a split- Ohio State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, WVU, Louisville, USF and Pitt.

And I'm probably giving Louisville and Pitt too much credit. The only absolute locks for the Big East are West Virginia and USF.

6. Hammer Pants

I won't.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Like I said, I don't doubt that the SEC is the best conference. But there are teams with some glaring weaknesses there, too. They're not dominant from top to bottom. They're solid from top to bottom.

8. Hammer Pants

LSU Arizona State
    Alabama Oregon
    Auburn UCLA
    Tennessee Southern Cal
    Georgia Oregon State
    Florida Cal
    South Car. Stanford
    Kentucky Arizona
    Miss State Wash St.
    Vanderbilt Wash.
    Arkansas Hawaii (wildcard)
    Ole Miss Boise State (wildcard)

How much fun would this be?

9. Hammer Pants

OK ... this is even better.

LSU Arizona State
    Alabama Oregon
    Auburn UCLA
    Tennessee Southern Cal
    Georgia Oregon State
    Florida Cal
    South Car. Hawaii (wildcard)
    Kentucky Boise State (wildcard)
    Miss State Stanford
    Vanderbilt Arizona
    Arkansas Wash St.
    Ole Miss Wash.

10. Second Thoughts

Second Thoughts Active Member

Ohio St would lose 2-3 games if in the SEC.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

This year is sort of the same reason so many MVC basketball teams were so high in the rankings a couple years back. They played a few tough games out of conference, and then beat the shit out of each other during the conference season.
    It kept the losses from hurting too much and made sure the victories seemed so much more impactful.
    The SEC East had five of its six teams ranked in the top 20 a couple weeks back, but those five teams only had one or two important non-conference victories.

12. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Ridiculous. It's easy to remember that Michigan lost to App State, because it was such a hideous loss. But Michigan is a damn good football team as it's turning out. To say WVU would be a lock in that is insane.

That said, a case SHOULD be made that Ohio State doesn't belong in the title game, even at 12-0. Because at 12-0 last year, against a better schedule the Buckeyes still got destroyed in the title game. Still, the Buckeyes are unbeaten. They play eight games against Big Ten teams, all of which are full of big-time athletes. If they get through that unscathed, they deserve the spot. It's not their fault no SEC team can suck it up and win every week.

Draft saved Draft deleted