1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The "Scary" music thread; What's your live/outtake bootleg collection like?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I'm a fan of live music recordings. They are great background music for working on one's car, working around one's house, taking a long drive when on assignment, and sometimes for getting through a desk shift. I prefer quality bootlegs to official live releases because they aren't overdubbed with extra parts to make them sound better.

Some people like to create or download artwork for these things and individually put them in CD cases. Others are less organized.

A friend has a plastic crate of Bob Dylan. Another friend has a crate full of Dave Matthews.

I have made my wife scoff mockingly with multiple CD wallets full, probably about 85 Metallica shows, most of two discs, about five or so triple-CD sets. Only six shows on DVD.

Also have 12 Rush boots, five Led Zeppelin ones, and a Zep set that is 11 CDs of outtakes, which have to be heard to be believed.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

About 100 Grateful Dead shows (including all the ones I attended)
    About 30 DMB and/or Dave & Tim Reynolds shows (including half the shows I've attended)
    About 20 Phish, String Cheese Incident and YMSB shows (including some a fellow SJer sent me)

Those are just my taper shows. I've got a couple hundred other "authorized" concert recordings from everybody from Elvis to Sinatra. I got to where I wouldn't buy studio albums, and would only get concert albums.

3. Got some good old Dylans, including the old Great White Wonder that had part of The Basement Tapes. But my fave is a Stones bootleg called "Nasty Songs" that's roughly Exile-era and has a stratospheric "Rip This Joint.

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

i was quite obsessed at one point; not as much any more. though i still enjoy downloading live music, i no longer burn shows to CD. just keep them on my computer and put them on itunes then ipod, if desired.

my collections is mostly bluegrass (del mccoury, ralph stanley, bill monroe, seldom scene) jamgrass (old and in the way, yonder mountain string band, sam bush, leftover salmon), the grateful dead, jerry garcia and other jambands (widespread panic).

however, i have a fine 1983 talking heads show with a beautiful version of 'must be the place.' i have a few bob marley shows ... peter tosh, john prine, ben harper, alison krauss, bela fleck, dylan, bruce hornsby, david grisman, greyboy all-stars, karl denson's tiny universe, dirty dozen brass band, wilco, jayhawks, drive by truckers, ryan adams, phish, leo kottke, little feat, neil young, two miles davis shows from '69 and '71, van morrison from '70, willie nelson from '93, ani difranco, a beatles recording from the rooftop of apple records ... the list goes on forever, the party never ends.

5. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Not much...a Pearl Jam bootleg from some European shows in '93 and a Radiohead bootleg of them playing acoustic stuff (including a piss-take on "Wonderwall"). I've got friends with tons of Ween and Medeski Martin & Wood bootlegs.

6. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

between shows I've got on cassette (and haven't upgraded to CD), shows I have on both CD and cassette, and shows I've got purely on CD, I've got a couple of hundred Bruce shows (including the majority of the ones I was at). Plus I've got countless studio outtakes and radio broadcasts.
    The rest of my boot CD collection includes a handful of Southside Johnny & the Jukes shows, a couple of Elvis Presley shows, a Beatles show (from Italy), a George Harrison show, a Band show, an Old 97s show, a CD of outtakes with Bob Dylan & Johnny Cash, a couple of Tift Merritt shows, a few Rod Picott shows, a few Slaid Cleaves shows, and a few Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers shows.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Back when Napster was free, I got quite a few individual songs. The prized posessions are Eddie Vedder doing "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and Tori Amos doing "Hurt".

8. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

I have about 5 wilco shows, two or three Jeff Tweedy acoustic shows
    One Pearl jams concert from Atlanta, and countless other live recordings, just not always full shows
    The My Morning Jacket prom concerts, plus lots of one-off live songs
    A few REM concerts
    Couple of Dylan shows, including the infamous Newport Folk Festival show

And: Old 97s, Breeders, Sleater-Kinney, Jesus and Mary Chain, Jayhawks, Replacements, U2, Foo Fighters, Husker Du, Jesse Malin, the Kinks, Lucinda Williams, Neko Case, Neil Young.

Plus, lots fo outtakes and radio concerts.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Dozen and a half or so old Dead bootleg tapes, though they're deep in a box in a basement of a marble building in Bennington. The best one is from a show in Portland, Oregon, in in 1974. Couple hippies gave it to a buddy and me in the parking lot of a Motel 6 in Anderson, Indiana, a few hours before a show at Deer Creek.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Got some Pearl Jam, Metallica (including the show I was at on the Summer Sanitarium tour), Springsteen, Stones, Who and the only Dead show I was at, in Toronto in 1987, among others.

Always on the lookout for quality boots online. Point me in the right direction....

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Don't look on Sportsjournalists.com for quality boots online.

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Ha, well played....

Draft saved Draft deleted