1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Saturn of old has died...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by crazedchipmunk, Jul 26, 2010.

1. My poor Saturn has died. The transmission gave out at 149,000 miles. I must admit that she was a pretty good car for the last 6 years. She had even promised me that she was going to run Dools over if she ever got the chance. Now that is just a fleeting memory.

I am now in a 2006 Honda Civic LX with 39,600 miles. She has all the bells and whistles you could ask for in a car. If it wasn't for my wonderful boyfriend helping me out with it, I would be without a car.

I already took it on its maiden voyage to my mom's house. She absolutely loved it. I let her drive it and she said that she felt like she was in a monstrosity. Mind you, she drives a 2 door Hyundai hatchback that looks like a freaking space ship.

2. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

That Civic will last you forever if you take care of it.

I've got a '92 Accord with 179K and a '95 Accord V6 with 111K. Both run incredibly well, show almost no signs of wear in the engine and cost next-to-nothing to keep on the road.

3. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Got a Civic in 1999 and finally turned it in last year with 200,000+ miles on it. We still got $4,000 for it. Needless to say, we put it toward another Civic (our fourth).

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

My '01 Civic just hit 111,111 miles, and I have had virtually no problems. Showing no signs of its demise.

5. That is what I am hoping for. I am going to treat this one a lot better than other cars I have owned. Only bad thing is that I went from a four door to a two door.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

:'(

7. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

What kind of Saturn did you have? With the original S-series Saturns, the automatics commonly had an issue where the tranny would not want to go into reverse until you tapped the gas, at which point they slammed into reverse.
    I had that (and oil burning issues, also common) with my first Saturn. My second Satty, a '94 SC2, was a great car and didn't have those issues. I would love to have that back as my commuter, but oh well.
    As for Civics, my mom had an '89 DX hatchback (my dad sold it this year to his neighbor's son), my dad still has his '95 Civic LX sedan and my sis-in-law still has her '99 Civic sedan. The '99 just had its first issue (timing chain went) ever, while my dad loves his '95. Even when it was crunched in a wreck about a decade ago, he had it rebuilt instead of taking the $7,000 check to total it. I drove it again yesterday, and reaffirmed my dislike for it. I've never found a comfortable seating position in it, the auto tranny is truly a slushbox and it feels only slightly faster than my Chevy Metro. But he likes it and will drive it until the wheels fall off.

Draft saved Draft deleted