1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The running "Your Office Christmas Party" thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by patchs, Dec 1, 2006.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

It's December, tell us your wacky moments, the publisher making an ass out of themself, you get the cute babe in advertising drunk and score, or you actually get a Christmas bonus, LOL!
    As for us, our party was "cancelled." Seems the place we've had it the last few years "gave away" our date, so all we have is a Bring Your Own Food in the office shindig.
    My theory for this, a) no money for party or b) corporate is afraid a liquored-up employee kills someone in a DWI crash and the survivors sue the company for all it's worth.
    Merry Christmas!

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ours is tonight.

That's right. Holiday party on Dec. 1.

Luckily, I won't be attending. Nothing good can come of drinking with your co-workers.

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Ours is Jan. 13.
    Spend eight-plus hours a day with these people. They're the last people I want to go to a party with.
    I HATE office Christmas parties.
    Jeebus. Since we're having it in January, why not just wait until June when it's nice and go have a barbeque at the lake or something?

4. Flash

Flash Guest

1996 ... my first office party out west ... bunch of decide to roll a few and get buzzed. Find a small room and it turns into a hot box kind of deal. We quickly get so stoned that we can't even roll ... and we also thought we were hiding fairly well.
    In bursts our ME ... 'WHAT IN HELL?!?!?!?' Next thing I know he's sitting down next to me and rolling for us ...

Of course that was also the night one of the girls from production comes over to me, grabs me by the boob and says, 'You're hot but I'm not that into blonds.'

Ay yi yi. I have been to maybe two office Christmas parties since. They scare me.

5. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I haven't heard anything about one.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ours is tonight. I opted not to go, to cover hoops. Girls hoops.

7. Xan --
    That's a big sacrifice to make just to keep from Xeroxing your butt with the divorcee from Accounting.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Yeah, I hear she's great at giving gummies.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I agree with Songbird. At a previous stop, I was told I had to attend the Christmas function - first-year initiation and all that crap. Publisher expected us to wear coat and tie to eat dinner at a snobby country club. Same publisher had us wearing shirt and tie to an office where smoking was permitted (publisher also smoked like a chimney).

Anyway, didn't go back ... and I was there almost four years. One year - against my SE's wishes - I asked to work. He didn't want anyone working that night (it was a PM paper) but I willingly worked. Better to watch HS basketball than deal with snobbery and having to dress to the nines simply to eat dinner.

This year? Newsroom got creative. There's a party at one of the editor's places after work on a Friday night in a couple of weeks. Almost guarantee that will be more fun than any Christmas function since.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Our office party is at the number two guy's house -- on a Tuesday. It's the opening night of playoffs for my co-ed kickball team. Hmmm, hang out with co-workers and the boss, or hang out with buddies and a bunch of good looking, single grad students? Tough call.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Cosmo. Paging Cosmo to this thread. Cosmo, please report to this thread.

12. Martin_Lane

Martin_Lane Member

We're not a paper that's known for its togetherness. Hardly anyone ever does much together socially.

With that in the background, I always laugh at this subject. We have one Christmas party that the night workers can't attend. To "make up for it," the company buys roast beef, salad, etc., for the night shift. Everyone brings in dessert or chips or something.

And here's the fun part. We go through the buffet line, grab some food, and eat at our desks ... alone. We don't even all gather somewhere like the office dining room or conference room for 30 minutes.

Draft saved Draft deleted