1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The running Spring Training thread, 2010 edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Feb 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd say 70 was a realistic top win expectation for the Nats, so for a fan 75 is not too optimistic.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Like this deal a lot better than the two-year deal. Definitely fills a need offensively for the Tigers.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just in time for the all-too-common rite of passage for 36-year-old MLB players: a 50-point drop on BA, 100 points in OPS, HRs and RBIs cut in half. Plus in Comerica Park, Damon's C-minus-level defense converts to a D-plus, at best.

With cement-legged Ordonez in right, Austin Jackson is gonna be running 500 yards a game.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wasn't that around what the Yankees were offering him originally?

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Something like that. I'd say that the Yankees made a mistake playing hardball over a few bucks with Damon and then signing Nick Johnson, but I'm sure they will just add another bat when Johnson gets hurt again.

6. Drip

Drip Active Member

76, that's the spirit. However, 70-80 isn't that far fetched.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I thought that it was Damon trying to play hardball by trying to get a multi-year deal for a lot more money. And look where it got him.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Detroit and it's actually not a bad move for him. The Tigers will be in contention.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Yankees offered Damon 2 years for 14 mill. Bor-ass turned it down, asking for 2 years, 22 mill. The Yankees, wisely, said good-bye then made a late take-it-or-leave it 1 year, 5 mill plus incentives.

Meanwhile, the Tigers didn't want to pay Curtis Granderson 23.5 mill he's owed over the next three years but they'll pay a 36-year-old who can not play the outfield any more and has the worst arm in baseball 8 mill this year -- basically to replace Granderson.

Yeah, that makes sense.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

It's a terrible move for him because his numbers will suffer badly outside the new Yankee Stadium, and will have to find a new contract next year, off of mediocre numbers. HAd he stayed with the Yanks & hung around for a few more years, he would have put himself into HOF talk, now that's pretty unlikely.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh stop. Johnny Damon wasn't going to be in any hall of fame except the one in his hometown. And since he's not from Cooperstown, NY, he never ever had a chance to be in any hall of fame i that little town, baseball or otherwise.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ryan Sonner is geeked about his Nationals.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.