1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The rules are the rules

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by The Big Ragu, Jan 30, 2014.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It's a little tough for them to look away when she's on the cover of the local newspaper.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Really?

How's that work regarding immigration enforcement?

I hope no one's Church holds a bake sale. And, if you do, don't put up any fliers promoting it.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

You seem to have two false analogies there that require no further comment.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Because of child labor laws, she should probably have to hire someone of age to do the actual baking.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

She should have just started a fertilizer business using her parents' farm to provide the manure.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

8. joe king

joe king Active Member

Since no one else will acknowledge it: Well done.

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I loved that book. Haven't thought of it in almost 30 years. Didn't think it was that widely read.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

This reminds me of copyright law. They have to come down on her because if someone else tries it, they'll just say, "What about that girl? She was doing the same thing and you didn't go after her." Common sense says that this is unnecessary, but I can understand the logic behind it and personally I'm OK with it.

11. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

YF/Ragu - You haven't addressed the legitimate question regarding the age or revenue threshold at which our young entrepreneur should be subjected to the same market factors as her competition. Maybe the $2,400 in additional annual revenue wouldn't make much of a difference to the folks at "Crave the Cup" down Edwardsville Rd., but it's nearly twice as much as the average individual Illinois food stamp recipient will receive in a given year, so it clearly represents a lot of money to some people. It is also worth noting that the feature story in question mentions that young Chloe operates a pet-sitting business called No Bones About It out of the same house where she prepares her cupcakes. Hey, my first reaction to the headline was the same as yours, but the questions are valid.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Couple of things:

Do you really think she's "making" $200 a month? I'm guessing her parents are bearing all the costs, and she's getting all the revenue. I'm also going to bet she's not taking any business away from other bakeries/cafes.

And, authorities make decisions regarding enforcement every single day.

Draft saved Draft deleted