1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Royko Thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jun 26, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, but it's an an insult to Royko to make him into digression on a Mariotti thread.

If this doesn't work, i apologize in advance.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Overrated.

3. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

And Royko once suggested, during the Harding-Kerrigan feud, that Chicago's sportswriters, including Mariotti, should stop typing long enough to take some Prozac.

Incidentally, "Sez Who?" includes 9 columns on sports that are both funny and perceptive.

4. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I've never read anything by Royko.

But instead of outraged replies, anyone know where I can find a selection of his work? Preferably online?

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

21... I suppose it's a little form of journalism blasphemy to throw around a legend's name so loosely, but it didn't bother me.

The mere thought of putting Jay's name in the same sentence with Royko would be like mentioning John Daly with Nicklaus, Lindsay Lohan with Katharine Hepburn or Flea with Eric Clapton. Just doesn't make any sense, and never will.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

7. Orange Hat Bobcat

Orange Hat Bobcat Active Member

Here a few columns from one of his books. Just go to any library and you're bound to find some collections (my local library has three).

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At least you knew that with Royko, Slats Grobnick was fictitious.

You had no such assurance with Breslin's myriad, god-how-convenient sources of "quotes" . . .

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Try <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/104-1400998-6998363?%5Fencoding=UTF8&search-type=ss&index=stripbooks%3Arelevance-above&field-keywords=royko">this</a> link, Daemon.

10. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I own One More Time: The Best of Mike Royko and it is easily one of my favorite books. A lot of his columns hold up really well. I wish I could find online somewhere the column Royko wrote when Sinatra sent a flunky to deliver MR a letter basically telling him to stop lying about him. Royko wrote a hiliarious column, where he used a finely-sharpened scalpel to give Sinatra death by a thousand stilletto cuts.

Here is a column of Royko's about Jackie Robinson's debut that I found online (it's the second column). Enjoy -- it is a masterpiece.

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/730719.html

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I've never really thought about it until now, but he and the Detroit News's Pete Waldmeir were probably the reason I got into journalism.
    When I was a freshman in college, I used to have talks about Chicago with my suitemate.. one day he turned to me and said I knew more about Chicago than he did and he lived there -- all from reading Royko...
    "Boss" is priceless; his columns were better...

12. Terd Ferguson

Terd Ferguson Member

I love Mike Royko.
    Royko was syndicated in my local paper (located many moons away from Chicago) and I read him whenever I could. He and Lewis Grizzard were both huge influences in my love of newspapers and eventual pursuit of a career in journalism. They both ran locally and I started reading the paper because of them.

Glad to see Royko get some shout outs.

I owe a lot to that guy - a guy I never met who wrote from and about a city I've never set foot in. Funny how that works, huh?

Draft saved Draft deleted