1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rosemont Cubs?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 20, 2013.

1. rascalface

rascalface Member

Moving the Cubs out of Wrigley would absolutely murder that franchise. As a White Sox fan, I'm all for it.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

This story is a great way to smoke out which writers in town are carrying water for the team. Just check which ones act like leaving Wrigley is a serious discussion.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The Cubs owners already have enough money to buy 44 Josh Hamiltons if they see fit.

The "additional revenue" goes straight into the owners' pockets. It always does.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I genuinely don't understand why Tunney goes to such lengths to protect the rooftop owners.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

$$$$$$$

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They are major campaign contributors.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That and the local yokel dipshits are usually the ones who can rally voters for an opponent.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I seem to recall someone down in Florida making promises about spending for a winning team.

Any city making a deal with a team for a new stadium better put in the contract that the team must be in the top third of payrolls, otherwise walk away.

9. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I would think the Ricketts could do better.

10. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

If the Cubs move, the Wrigley aura is no more. Which means, the Cubs will be a team that sucks in Rosemont. That alone devalues the franchise by half.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wrigley may be their most valuable asset in many ways, and this may not/probably will not happen, but I think you're crazy if you don't think this could work for the Cubs.

With a new, modern facility, with club seats, suites, wide concourses filled with bars and restaurants, the stadium would generate a lot of revenue.

Naming rights, stadium signage, and corporate branded areas of the stadium, sponsorship, and a highway visible marquee would bring in a lot of revenue.

Night games would bring in more TV revenue.

There are a lot of corporate offices and campuses in the northern & western suburbs, and nothing approaching the Cubs in terms of entertainment competing for those dollars. They would sell a lot of season tickets to corporations.

Mass transit would be very good to this location too.

It might bring an entirely different fan base to the stadium. So what? It wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.

They wouldn't be trapped in the headaches that are Wrigley Field either.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

They would be able to make good money the first few years. But they'd better have a winning team once the novelty of the stadium wears off. That's the risk when you leave a stadium that has a history.

Draft saved Draft deleted