1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Rooney Rule is a joke

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

The Rooney Rule is supposed to give minority candidates a fair shake at getting NFL coaching jobs. But in light of the way the Seahawks have operated in the supposed hiring of Pete Carroll, it would appear as thought the owners don't give a damn about the Rooney rule.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

This is the problem — really, one of the few problems — with the Rooney Rule. When you have a specific, qualified candidate in mind like Shanahan, Carroll, or Cowher if he comes back, you have to do the song and dance to satsify the Rooney Rule.
    It's unfair to the token minority candidates interviewed and it's unfair to the franchises that have to do it.

3. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

The Redskins' hiring was just as bad, maybe worse. His name escapes me, but a then-current assistant under Zorn was interviewed weeks before the season was even complete. That apparently qualifies Washington as compliant. Like the guy had any real shot to get the job. It's quite sad. This is one case where I wouldn't mind seeing some black leaders making a public beef. The NFL is so transparent with this Rooney rule.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Jerry Gray, former Texas and LA Rams DB.

As for "token" interviews, I'm guessing proponents of such would argue that, if nothing else, it gives candidates practice at interviewing, so if they're seriously up for a job, it's not their first time. I'm sure Frazier be better prepared when the Bills interview him next week.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Steak, I'm sure it works like this. Without being told, the black assistants know damn well that if they DON'T participate in the fraud interviews they'll never be given a shot at a real chance for a job. Look how Frazier first said he wouldn't interview with Seattle and then changed his mind.

6. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Nor should they.

Look I am all for diversity but it is absolutely idiotic that an owner who has, oh I don't know, $300, $400 million invested in a football franchise has to interview someone he doesn't want to hire when he has a chance to hire one of the hall of fame caliber coaches available, like Shanahan or Cowher or Holmgren.

It is ridiculous.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Sadly many of the coaches who dutifully participate in the sham never do get a HC job.

This year Frazier is the "it" candidate. In the past we heard names like Emmit Thomas, Sherm Lewis, and Ted Cottrell.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

The fact that anybody interviewed Ted fucking Cottrell for a head coaching job tells you everything you need to know about how dumb the Rooney Rule is.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Exactly. Remember all the years Tony Dungy was the 'it" candidate who didn't come across well in interviews. NFL also stands for Notorious Fucking Liars when it comes giving guys opportunities.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

If Frazier didn't want to interview, he could have told them to stick it -- as he apparently did before changing his mind.

It is optional.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

LJB, there's never been anything "optional" in your job you knew you had to do?

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I agree the rule is a complete farce, Michael. But the reports last night were that he wanted no part of the charade, and then we get word that the interview lasted more than five hours. That tells me they're not just having coffee and a sandwich. And why does he "have" to do this? I think it was Emmitt Thomas (correct me if I am wrong) who knew this was bullshit, every year, and refused to put on the clown shoes.

Draft saved Draft deleted