1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Romney VP Pick -- Paul Ryan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

From CNN archives:

Presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Barack Obama introduced Sen. Joe Biden to the nation as his running mate Saturday, telling supporters that he is "a leader who is ready to step in and be president."

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Via text message to those who signed up. My first class was that Monday and we spent a lot of time talking about the mobile phone as a "media outlet." Say what you will, Obama did one hell of a job getting the younger set fired up and involved.

I seem to remember a lot of positive buzz from Palin, until it started sinking in. Then there was that "oh shit" kind of reaction.

Saturday announcement, a lot of air time on the Sunday talk shows?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Republican convention begins in two weeks, Aug. 27-30.

Dems go the week after, Sept. 3-6.

In 2008, Obama announced Biden on the Saturday before the Dems' convention started. McCain announced Palin on the the Friday before the Republican convention which also turned out to be the day after Obama's acceptance speech since, like this year, the conventions run back-to-back.

4. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Why a Saturday morning?

More people are at home in front of a TV. This will dominate the weekend news cycle. Also, the President is far less likely to answer back on a weekend because it will look like he is stealing the spotlight.

The pick of Ryan is Romney's last hope after a dreadful stretch. His punch less campaign has not closed the poll gap and it might be too late. I don't believe a VP pick moves the needle too much these days but Ryan should be able to help articulate Romney's attributes. Will it help? Might be too late.

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I saw one lawyer/blogger who went to school with Ryan at Miami U. declare that Ryan's Delta Tau Delta fraternity was known on campus as "Dicks 'Til Death."

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

This ain't a pick you make if you think you're ahead -- or even tied.

Get ready for an absolute bombardment about the Ryan Budget, particularly in Florida.

7. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Ryan is one of the smarter politicians in Washington. He has no business anywhere near a presidential ticket.

More big ideas and empty promises. To hell with sacrifice. The United States is too big to fail.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

If Wikipedia from last night is to be believed, his district is only R+1. Has Wisconsin had its primaries yet?

9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

It has not.

10. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Has there been any indication whether Ryan will remain on the Congressional ballot for November, as Biden did in 2008?

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

I've seen/read that he will.

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I said earlier in the thread that if Romney thought the race was winnable, he was going to go after Pawlenty or Portman. This is his "all-in" choice, ala Palin in 2008.

I do question where Rubio and Jindal ended up in the final calculations. Both would have helped rally the conservative base and Rubio could have helped in Florida. Jindal, the first rebuttal speech aside, has seemed to be pretty articulate and seemed to be heavily involved in the BP disaster.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.