1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Romney VP Pick -- Paul Ryan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nope. Most voters are not digging into world economics.

I am talking about stuff that fills their headlines. Like panic over Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns going kerplooey, while analysts on their TV talk about "too big to fail." Even if those voters have no clue why it is all happening.

That was the backdrop for the 2008 election.

It's now 2012. That is what Europe is primed for. If we get that kind of event before November, people won't be digging into world economics. They will be hearing about a meltdown of the European banking system, contagion to the U.S. and all kinds of panic talk. It will become the backgdrop for the 2012 election.

That is where we are headed right now. We're just not on a defined timetable. Which was why I said if we have major things unfold before November, I think it will sandbag Obama. If they can hold off any sovereign defaults / banking crises until after November, it makes it a close election, in my opinion.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm trying to understand
    I'm giving all I can
    Cause you got the best of me

Oh shit ...

3. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Nate Silver has Obama at 71 percent to win. Romney was desperate enough yesterday to ask Obama to just "stick to the issues."

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/08/romney-to-obama-please-stop-attacking-my-business-taxes.php?ref=fpblg

And now Romney picked for VP a man who wants to end Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid. So he just punted Florida, where Obama was leading anyway.

I'm not even going to get into what Ragu just posted except to say he's wrong. Period. The networks need a horse race, so you're going to keep hearing about how close it is. And how no president has ever been re-elected with the economy this bad, blah, blah, blah.

The economy has sucked since Romney won the nomination. And his numbers continue to fall. The last three national non-tracking polls have Obama up 7, 7 and (Fox News!) 9. The more people see Mitt Romney, the less they like him. This has been true every time he's run for something.

I'm not prepared to say the election is over. Ragu is right in that there could be some sort of economic catastrophe that strikes, which could change things. But absent a major, major event, Obama is going to boatrace Willard.

On second thought, I was wrong. Nate Silver has Obama at 72 percent.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Explain to me the decision to announce this on a Saturday morning.

5. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

The only thing I can come up with is to get the news off the last polls and Romney's gaffes. Saturday is usually when the trash is thrown out.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Where were things at this point in 2008?

7. Moderator1

Isn't Romney doing some whistle-stop type thing starting in Norfolk? Not that it makes it any more good or bad to do it on a Saturday. Hell, I don't even know when the convention starts.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

According to whom?

9. Bud_Bundy

Bud_Bundy Well-Known Member

Mitt Romney just now: "Join me in welcoming the next President of the United States, Paul Ryan." ... yep, that's what he said. He corrected himself later.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

FWIW, Obama's announcement of Biden was on a Saturday morning in 2008.

11. Moderator1

Whatever sources you just cited - 538?

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Oh, Nate Silver? I just went and looked, and I'm not sure. The archives only go as far back as when he went under the NYT umbrella.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.