1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The role of a food critic

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Alma, May 25, 2017.

1. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Interestingly, Red Robin had opened a number of "Burger Works" fast-casual places, but recently closed most of them down.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Just doesn't work with millennials. They see it as posing.

3. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

The food critic at my former paper is a former sports columnist, of all things. He then was a metro columnist for about 15 years before switching to the food critic job about a year ago. Does a good job, too -- he's reviewed everything from gourmet restaurants to the hoagies at Wawa, which is making a big push in this area (he gave them a thumbs-up).

Saw him at one of the paper's frequent going-away parties recently and said he really liked the food critic gig. After 15 years as metro columnist, he felt he was going stale and was ready for a change. Also said it doesn't hurt that he's doing less work for the same money (one of my definitions of a good career move).

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

BWs prices are way too high. That's why business is suffering. If it's even suffering. Stock price is $142/share.

You can get the same or better quality of food and dining experience for much less elsewhere. I'm sure more than millennials have figured this out.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Nope.

When an entree is smaller than my fist, they're wrong, not me. You can accept nouveaux portion sizes if you wish.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Laugh.

Jesus.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Yeah, he wouldn't have accepted them either.

And my BP, taken three minutes ago, is 106/62. To preempt your next point. :)

8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

More interesting stuff. The Hollywood Reporter reviews a pricey, secretive menu just four nights after opening. It's a negative review, and to my mind, a good one.

Is It Wrong to Review a Just-Opened Restaurant? A Response to Angry Food Critics

The customary waiting period, however, for reviews is generally 4-to-6 weeks. Other food critics = not happy.

So the THR responds, and makes an interesting point.

Is It Wrong to Review a Just-Opened Restaurant? A Response to Angry Food Critics

In other spheres of criticism, the agreement is this: As soon as you're open for business, you're open for judgment, because mainstream journalistic reviewing is, at root, a consumer service.

While Broadway producers might prefer the leniency of a month's latitude after opening night, they don't receive it. Neither still can filmmakers wait for later, refined cuts to be reviewed after that first screening at Sundance or Cannes, or showrunners hope to be redeemed by the overall first season instead of a mere pilot.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Broadway analogy isn't great. Shows run in previews prior to the official opening, and charge admission during this period. Critics wait till the official opening to write reviews.

10. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

If a new restaurant opens in my area, I don't think, "Oh, let's wait 4-6 weeks to eat there bc they need to work out the kinks." I worked in restaurants for many years and I'm pretty forgiving when it comes to service, especially a new place, bc it takes a while for a staff to gel. So if a drink order comes out late or they don't refill my water glass, no biggie. But the food itself? No, that should be judged to high standards from the get go. It's not going to get appreciably better after a month.

11. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Critics wait, in part, because they want to tell you about what you can expect if you go. A restaurant in its first week is not comparable with a restaurant two months later.

Where I worked, we waited three months to make a visit.

CD Boogie likes this.
  12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

For six months at the Boston Phoenix, I was the restaurant critic. I reviewed a place when it first opened because I didn't know any better and it was a catastrophe. They weren't ready to open and it sure showed. My wise editor said, let's put this one on hold for a month and go back. It was better, but not that much better, but the second visit and its follow-up were the review meals.
    PS: I hated being a restaurant critic. For whatever reason, having to constantly be on the alert while I was dining took the pleasure out of the experience.

Draft saved Draft deleted