1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Road..

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Nov 30, 2009.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Anyone seen it yet? Mrs. and I went last weekend on date night. I thought it was okay, but my wife blew the fountainworks as to how bleak it was. Definitely wish I had chosen Sandra Bullock instead (too sappy for wifey).

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Having read the book, I have to presume it is pretty bleak.

Doesn't seem like something to take the Mrs. to over the holidays.

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i got depressed just reading a review.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I saw a screening several weeks ago.
    I thought it was good, not great.
    Beats the hell out of 'Transformers' or 'G.I. Joe,' but that's damning with faint praise.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I found the book so unsettling (though brilliant), I'm almost afraid to see the movie.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Agree with previous poster. Good not great. Amazing that the scenery was not computer enhanced. Mt St Helens forest. Abandoned Pa highway. Neat film-making. I dunno. I read reviews of the Boy's performance, said that he was great. Only okay in my books. Duvall was great. Viggo ... okay, maybe slightly better. Not transcendent.

o-<

7. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Damn and I thought this thread was going to be about The Kinks' 1988 live album:
    [​IMG]

8. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

Aside from an expansion of the role of the wife, the film was very true to the novel (which is phenomenal, but not among C.M.'s top three, imho).

Basically, a very mature attempt at the "horror" genre.

Agree with "good, not great."

Beautifully shot. A photographic masterpiece. So much of what makes the novel compelling is how McCarthy delves into the father's inner, mental, psychological (whatever) life. Hard to translate that to film.

Probably C.M.'s most bleak novel ---- and happiest ending.

9. Colton

Colton Active Member

For the love of Tebow, PLEASE do not allow this to have massive suckage!!!

Loved the book...

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

The book was pure poetry and one of the greatest novels ever written. With that in mind, I am expecting to be disappointed in the film. But we'll see.

11. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Thought the book was much better than the movie. Duvall was incredible; he'll definitely be nominated for supporting. Wasn't thrilled with Viggo's performance but the kid was amazing. What a career he has ahead of him. The scenery was impressive, too.

12. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

If only the right director would make "Blood Meridian".

Cronenberg?
    Fincher?
    Eastwood?

Draft saved Draft deleted