1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Road to Omaha: NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rumpleforeskin, May 24, 2009.

1. mb

mb Active Member

CWS appearances since 1999

Alabama: 1999
    Arkansas: 2004
    Florida: 2005
    Georgia: 2001, 2004, 2006, 2008
    LSU: 2000, 2003, 2004, 2008
    Mississippi State: 2007
    South Carolina: 2002, 2003, 2004
    Tennessee: 2001, 2005

Eight of 12 have made at least 1 CWS appearance since 1999. Conference has had 2 teams in Omaha four times. Not sure I'm buying lack of depth.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Johnny D has to be loving this discussion. have it with him every year.

Lots of SEC teams make it to Omaha. They should, as 8-9 teams are invited the the NCAAs every year, and they are spread out so they generally don't eliminate each other in the supers. They also get a disproportional amount of regionals and supers, which is how you make it to Omaha.

But of all those teams to make it only one has won, and only two have finished second.

During that same period, the Pac-10 (for example), a nine-team league until this year, had two titles and three second-place finishes, and had five of its nine teams make it to Omaha, even though it generally gets half as many teams in the tournament in the first place, seldom if ever gets to host more than two regionals, and generally has its teams bunched in the same SR bracket so they have to eliminate each other to make it to Omaha.

Both leagues are good. The SEC lovefest gets old, though, when the numbers don't crunch.

3. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

Regional host sites based on geography and facilities. For the most part, NCAA is trying to limit travel to save costs. Makes sense ACC hosts 4 regionals because of number of teams East of Mississippi. Not saying ACC is that strong in baseball and is not overrated in baseball; just saying that's probably why they got the host sites.

Re Big 12: More major-league pitching prospects in that league than any other. Each team has minimum of 2 top quality starters. Guy who started for Texas in B12 championship game Sunday - UT's fourth game in 5 days - was throwing low 90s, the guy who relieved him was hitting 94 on radar gun.

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Micro, I lumped Rice in with the SEC and Big 12 because they're from the same region. If it's SEC/Big 12 vs. Pac-10/Big West, then throw Fresno State out of your argument too. If it's West Coast vs. Southeast/Big 12, then we get to keep Rice.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think it's also based, in part, on who can actually put some asses in the seats and make some money. That's why a school like Ole Miss gets one. They'll draw 9,000 or 10,000 people for their games.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Revenue used to be the biggest reason schools could get NCAA baseball regionals.

It's still a factor -- no team north of Louisville is going to host -- but not as much when there were just six regionals of six teams apiece, like in the old days.

7. micropolitan guy

Fair enough. Most people on the West Coast would like to throw Freesno State out, too. ;D

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Here's the bracket for all of those interested...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/bracket?id=4203475

9. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

wake me up when it's over.

10. micropolitan guy

One factoid I learned today: No Big 12 team has advanced to the CWS since 2005 (Nebraska, Texas). Ouch.

11. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Arizona State does not complain beacuse it cannot field (or even try) to field an ice hockey team, so I am not going to shed a tear if Vermont has trouble competing in baseball (which they do not if I recall correctly).

Draft saved Draft deleted