1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ringer is Live

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HappyCurmudgeon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

More work for more writers in Bill's little circle. He's not yet nearly self-aware or bright enough to figure out he's become what he detested when he was a younger writer in Boston, is he?

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Even so, if they are working for him that could mean more writing jobs are open at other sports and entertainment sites.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Full disclosure:

I really enjoy Bill Simmons' podcast work. And I enjoy most of the folks on his podcast network. But his smugness is so off putting that it's hard for me to want to read his website. There's good talent there, for sure. Great writing. And I'll click on links that are tweeted out from time to time. But his insistence that everything that he touches is THE BEST.

It annoyed me to no end that when the Shackhouse podcast came out, he immediately pronounced it the best golf podcast out there, because there were no real golf podcasts being made. I'm sure he wasn't aware that No Laying Up, Shane Bacon, etc., etc., even existed, which to me was even more of a slap in the face to people that have done golf podcasting well for some time. Shackhouse's first episode was a trainwreck, I thought. Shackleford was completely condescending. House was woefully underprepared and didn't sound like he knew he was talking about. Credit them. It's gotten a ton better and I'm still listening. Simmons' ego is just so massive that it turns me off to some of his projects.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Jeez, buddy. I super recommend you come sit on my porch some warm night and pop a Coors, smoke a little weed. Doctor's orders.

JackReacher likes this.
  5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Podcast idea?

6. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Am I wrong?

(Coors? Can't we get an IPA?)

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think you're wrong. Writers are loyal to Bill for lots of reasons. His "little circle" now includes several dozen new voices, and he's made them more money than they would have made writing just about anywhere else. He's brighter than most of us. He sure as shit saw a lot of opportunities that I didn't see, at least. And craft beers are overrated. Coors Banquet will get you where you need to be.

JackReacher likes this.
  8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The third greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing certain people IPAs were delicious.

Earthman, YankeeFan, amraeder and 2 others like this.
  9. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I picture Boog as more of a YooHoo guy.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

The obsession with IPAs both among individual drinkers and in the craft beer market is annoying, but IPA is a great style. And craft beers are so much better than anything Coors has crapped out. Freshness alone makes a ton of difference. And crappy malt makes for crappy beer.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Coors? Yikes, my opinion of you is totally blown. All kidding aside, Simmons definitely timed some things perfectly, including podcasts, which got into -- and with the help of ESPN, was able to distribute widely -- before anyone else did. It's easy to look at his content and think you could be funnier or more insightful or a better writer, but the guy has impeccable timing. Hell, he even made his favorite sports teams go on the best decade of success in sports history. That's influence.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Bite your tongue!

Draft saved Draft deleted