1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Right Way to Walk on Eggshells

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stick2TheScript(s), Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If you work for someone who would fire you for that, you are not working where you ought to be anyway. Plus, you could sue his/her ass. I couldn't just up and fire someone because I wanted to fire someone. There had to be a really good reason. I imagine it is that way at most places.

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

1. Depends on the state. If you're in an at-will state, you're screwed.
    2. An employer could give whatever reason they chose and it's very hard to prove wrongful termination.

3. Moderator1

Well, I'll say it again: I've been lucky. Only bosses I had were people I'd kill for and I damn sure shot straight the few times I was looking. And I tried to be that kind of boss. Got blind-sided once and I didn't like it much. Everyone else was upfront with me.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Yeah, but not every boss is like that. Like any profession, there are some real dicks out there. And being upfront doesn't mean shit to them.
    I gotta agree with FR. This is a case-by-case basis.
    Most bosses I've had were real cool with me looking, and offered to help in any way they could. But there was one or two who made my life hell just because i was interested in an opening.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I got fired for it once. Found a much better job though, and less than two years later I'm doing even better than that, and making more than double what I was making at the old place. And I'll never, ever, ever let a boss know I'm looking until I'm offered the job and putting in my notice. And I'd say the same thing to anyone else looking. While waiting to hear about my current job, I was paranoid about it in fact.

6. forever_town

When I was interviewing for a job, the people I interviewed with called my then-current job while I was there and I heard my supervisor talking to them about me. That was nervewracking.

He was cool about it, but I was nervous as fuck.

7. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

I wouldn't tell them shit. When was the last time as boss gave you advance notice you were being laid off?

We had two people leave at the same time a couple years ago. The second person announced, so the ME went to tell the publisher. She got all vindictive and wanted to fire him on the spot, I can just imagine what she would have done if he was out looking.

Anyone with half a brain would keep it to themselves, and I wouldn't work for a place that was stupid enough to call your current employer unless they were on the reference list or had permission.

8. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I had someone ask me if my boss knew I was there interviewing. They wanted to know if it was ok to call my boss for a reference.
    And I had no problem telling them no to both questions.

9. Moderator1

If I can't talk to your current boss, I'm not about to hire you.
    If you are going around the back of your current boss, you will go around the back of me.
    Sorry, you are most likely a fine person and very qualified. But that's the way bosses think.
    Be upfront. That I can trust them is something I value greatly in an employee.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Screw it. In this economy, I'd hope for the wrongful termination. Get the best damn lawyer available and wish for the best.

11. forever_town

There is something called the "hostile reference."

I've used that before, especially when it's been the truth.

12. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Moddy, I get what you're saying, but like I said, it depends on the boss.
    I had some bosses that I would go to war for. But then others, the screamers who degrade people to get their point across, they can go fuck themselves.
    This boss was of the go fuck yourself variety.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.