1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Right Way to Walk on Eggshells

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stick2TheScript(s), Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stick2TheScript(s)

Stick2TheScript(s) New Member

Okay, so I get to work today, and I've got an angry email from my editor wondering why I'm interviewing for other jobs without conferring with him first.

Turns out, this other paper I simply did a feeling-out phone interview with had called up my editor without even asking if that was okay first. Isn't that why people are supposed to ASK FOR YOUR REFERENCES!?

Now I'm in the doghouse at my current spot, and I'm royally pissed at the place I just did the phone interview with.
    How should I handle this in the future?

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

How do you let your current boss know you're looking around?

That seems a bit counter-productive.

A good boss would want employees who are desired by other companies and then, if possible, do what is needed to keep them or give them a hearty handshake on the way out.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Stick2,

No.1 -- You gotta know by putting your name out there it could get back to your boss.

No.2 -- I still wouldn't tell my boss unless I had an offer or was turning in my notice.

No.3 -- I'd look even harder.

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

I had a boss go apeshit on me because someone else wanted to interview me. It only made me that more determined to get the other job.
    You should probably do the same.

5. Mediator

Mediator Member

I'm surprised the other shop called your current boss. I would not generally use my editor as a reference for that very reason.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sounds like two guys I wouldn't want to work for

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You get to any kind of interview stage, you probably ought to be straight with your boss. Blind-sided bosses are not good.
    I used to tell my guys that if they were upfront with md, I'd do anything I could to help them.
    Blind-side me?
    Well, I wouldn't be helpful.

You put name out there, it is going to get out there. And back to your boss. So be upfront.
    A good boss will be able to handle that. A bad boss? What does it matter? You're leaving.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Was that even in English?

Regardless, my boss knows I'm looking. Hell, most of my paper knows I'm looking. I always believe in being up front, but I've also been blessed with having pretty cool bosses who were good people first.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I apologize for not being up to your perfect standards. I hope you will find it in your heart to forgive me. One day, I hope to be perfect like you.

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'd handle whether to tell the boss on a case-by-case basis. Really, you can't give blanket advice on that one.

11. Scrubs

Scrubs Member

It depends on your relationship with your boss. The first person I worked for in the business was all about helping me and was fine with me looking as long as I did it the right way, and that's the way I do it now with the people who work for me.
    It also helps to have some bosses from the other side who show you how to NOT treat people. And I've had a couple of those, too.

12. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

With all due respect to Moddy, my standard answer is NEVER tell your boss when you're leaving.

In just about every field you could think of, that's career suicide. Some bosses will fire their employees if they find out they're looking elsewhere.

If you have a very close relationship with your boss and you know he or she's not going to do that, that might be a different story. Even then, your boss may seem like the coolest person on earth but turn around and fire you if he or she finds out you've even put a resume out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.