1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ricky Gervais Thing

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that's right because he kept on saying it. At the end of the day, it's basically a monologue and there are 15-25 people who could do it.

lakefront likes this.
  2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He said what I've felt for a long time: Entertainment figures, with very few exceptions (Lennon, Dylan, Bono, for example) don't have the depth or education to make me care about any world view they have. And guys like Bono at least put their money and efforts where their mouths are and try to make the world a better place, not yell and scream about mean, old Republican white guys, then whisk away in their limos and private jets (usually after yelling that mean, old Republican white guys are poisoning the globe).

SFIND, Dog8Cats and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Weird to watch Trumpists turning Gervais into a hero for his monologue.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Longtime fan of Gervais. Always found him to be hilarious. His recent stuff, After Life (series) and his standup (Humanity) are great.

He’s perfect for the Globes. And yes, likely his last time.

He’s done a ton of work against animal cruelty.

Trumpers making him a personal hero is... hysterical. They obviously having gone too deep. Shocking.

As for celebrity speeches, some are better than others. More informed than others. Some are bad. I don’t really care about them but, like all of us? They can say what they want to say.

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Funny that Bono came up. Some of my friends go to a Moose Lodge service club in my old hometown. It's a nondescript place in a quiet neighborhood. Once a month they have a dance party with a band that can play different types of music. You don't have to be a member to attend. On Saturday night, Bono showed up. He had two bodyguards and nobody could get near him. One of the women was going to ask him to dance, but she couldn't get close enough to ask him.

bono.jpg

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Two goons beat as one ...

Iron_chet and Tweener like this.
  7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Looks like he's standing by Joe Namath.

Tweener likes this.
  8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

She's 53 years old.
    Good Gracious.
    Again......If you can touch them, they're real.

9. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

+1

10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

And yet Republicans are the ones who keep voting for actors and television hosts to be president.

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

#HollywoodHypocrites is trending on Twitter now as folks on the right heap praise on Gervais for his monologue.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'd like to hear their reactions when someone tells them Gervais' comments are probably also aimed at folks like Tim Allen and Jon Voight (and to expand into entertainment further, Kid Rock and Ted Nugent).

OscarMadison and cyclingwriter2 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted