1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Return of Conan...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Conan seemed nervous during his monologue. It was good. Not great. But good. Some funny lines. But I didn't think it was his best stuff.

Andy stole the show after the break - "The inside smells like tears" was one of the best lines of the entire show.

Seth Rogan killed it. His proposal story — I'm not sure this is how any girl dreams of her proposal, "in a closet with my titties out" — was terrific. So was his "weed doctor" bit. Great first guest.

Lea Michele. Those photos say it all. And she was pleasant and as funny and as charming as hell.

And then, to top it off, Conan riffs with Jack White.

What he did last night was prove to everyone in late night he is the most well-rounded performer of the bunch:

Funny? Check.
    Ability to grab great guests (even on cable)? Check.
    Good interviewer? Check.
    Rockin' guitar player? Check.

2. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

2.8 rating for last night. Good start.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Agree with just about all of this, Pete. Great line by Andy about the masks.

And can guests get away with more language on cable/TBS? Rogan said "shit" several times and it was bleeped out, but "titties" got on the air. He's a funny man.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Not having caught it myself — I'm one of those luddites that doesn't have cable — what was the "inside smells like tears" line about? I've seen it quotes here, and even heard someone reference it this morning while I was waiting in line at Starbucks.

Please, do tell.

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

See for yourself: http://www.tbs.com/video/conan.jsp?oid=233828&eref=sharethisUrl

One of the best clips from the night.

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Still a Craig Ferguson man myself. Watched Conan for the first time in forever and pretty much came away with this:
    "Eh."
    Turned over to Craig and laughed my ass off. Personal preference I guess. I'll give Conan this week to impress me.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

spike - Love CraigyFurg, especially last night when even Tom Selleck got up and did the Secretariat dance. Unbelievable.

And thanks, Gutter. That's awesome.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

So the Triumph and moving mouth bits (The Governator, Bill Clinton, etc.) remain NBC property? And things like In the Year 2000?

If so, that's some buuuulll-shit.

9. Journo13

Journo13 Member

I'd love to know how that would work. I can't see Jay Leno or Jimmie Fallon talking to giant bears and a dog on their shows. Who would use it? Keith Olbermann, perhaps?

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Crushed Leno and Letterman: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/11/09/conan-ratings-tbs-leno_n_781051.html

Now whether or not he can sustain it for weeks.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Takin' Grandma to Applebees.

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

The opening and closing of the show were great. Playing with Jack White, especially. In the middle, well, Rogen and Michelle didn't do much for me as first-night guests.

Draft saved Draft deleted