1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The return of cock rock?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Jones, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

Sorta like "We don't appeal to critics, we appeal to the real people out there."

Then and therefore, if you smell garbage, you're just being elitist.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

To be fair, sometimes the slack-jawed yokels are right. For example, fans recognized the genius of Eddie Van Halen far before critics did. Critics HATED Black Sabbath and Led Zeppelin for a long time. I seem to remember some Rolling Stone review book, pre-grunge, that had every Sabbath album with one star.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Dear Hinder,
    Nickelback has already done this. And Nickelback sucks.
    Love,
    Cosmo

4. Kaylee

Kaylee Member

And there's nothing wrong with that.

As I'm fond of saying when it comes to my snob parents, yes, fine wine and good food is great, but so is Waffle House at 3 a.m. after a night of drinking cheap beer.

I think it's safe to say, though, that we won't be waking up a decade from now and realizing that we missed out on the genius that was Hinder. There's a difference between being panned for being different and being panned for being pablum.

I wouldn't have a problem with this band so much - there's a lot of crap out there, after all - if it wasn't for their attitude toward the whole thing. Everything I get from these corn-fed boozy roustabouts is that they're somehow here to SAVE rock and take it back to a simpler, more straightforward time.

Excuse me? What, a simpler, more straightforward time before Nickelback? Disturbed? Hoobastank?

Hinder seems to be on a crusade to take rock back from the wussies, even though it's the "wussies" who made rock what it was to begin with. Both the punk and metal movements, and later the (unfairly maligned) grunge movement, were made up of kids who didn't identify with the jocularity of the bands that Hinder draws on for inspiration.

From slicked back hair and leather jackets, to mohawks and piercings, rock has initially been a means of rebellion against social norms and fashions. Eventually, this rebellion eats itself (see the proliferation of "emo" fashion), but the initial movement is always about embracing the outcasts in some form or fashion.

And now here comes Hinder, with this kind of macho "This is real rock" attitude, while the whole point of the art form is to escape from that sort of thinking.

Plus they suck balls.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So is this band pronounced Hinder or H-eye-nder?

That's all I want to know about the band. Their music is ShopVac style --- it not only sucks, it also blows.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

Hinder -- as in, rhymes with Fucksticks.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I have that book right here. It was the second edition of the Rolling Stone Record Guide and it came out in 1983. It gave every Sabbath album one star and savaged them in a one-paragraph overview.

It gave the first three Van Halen albums three stars and Fair Warning two, with Dave Marsh noting that it looked like the well was running dry. Hmmm, the next year they brought out 1984, the best album of any incarnation of Van Halen.

And plenty of critics had a love-hate relationship with Zeppelin, especially Rolling Stone which inexplicably put them on the cover earlier this year.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I vigorously dispute that '1984' was the best Van Halen album. I think it's the worst album put out by the band's original incarnation, and no other incarnations are worthy of mention.
    I don't know anything about Hinder. I hated hair/glam metal the last time it came around. Please tell me it's not returning.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is true. As I said to SC, this is the beauty of listening to XM '80s and BoneYard: You never hear anything new!

Their career path makes them sound like the reverse Michael Bolton, who tried hair metal (when he had hair) only to shift gears to A/C lite when he was too wussy and fake even for hair metal.

Anyone who references little-known Bryan Adams songs on a thread about the no. 1 song in Canada is A-OK by me. :D :D

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

If I recall correctly, the same book dismissed "Cool For Cats"-era Squeeze as "pedestrial heavy metal."

11. joe

joe Active Member

I fucked up and didn't send in my BMG Music card in time, and I had to buy the Hinder CD. Does that make me a terrible human being?
    And, Jones, what the fuck is "cycical?" Something to do with Canadian cicadas?

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I just had a thought that it would be great if Slaughter and Firehouse came back as one band called "Slaughterhouse," like how Philadelphia and Pittsburgh were the Steagles during the Depression.

Draft saved Draft deleted