1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The resignation of Norwood Teague at Minnesota

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That was not a shot at you. It was a shot at Thug U and their psychotic fans.

2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I don't know any "alleged" victims personally who are better off because they made an accusation than before. I'm not "alleging" anything. I believe the reporter (and all her actual texts, which, if I read correctly, the paper looked into and backed up and retained, etc. for records, as well).

What fiction is being conjured up? And the point isn't to be "better off," though, is it?

The point is that Teague could have, and should have, been put on the spot about what seems like serious, criminal harassment of the reporter immediately, and I'd bet anything that the university would have darned well dealt with the guy seriously if she and the newspaper had come at the situation equally seriously.

And no, I don't think such instances don't get reported or become public because women are afraid of "winning a lottery." (That's a ridiculous suggestion). I think it doesn't come out because the women, frankly, don't want it to. It's personal -- generally much too personal for public consumption if it can be helped. This is probably especially true if you are alone, or think you are.

Why do you think Cosby now has dozens of accusers instead of just one? Why do you think the reporter now, finally, finds the courage to come out with her story (beyond the paper probably suggesting it as, you know, timely, I mean)? Frankly, I think she still probably didn't want to come out with it. But in today's first-person media world, it's a great opportunity to personalize and put a known name and face on what is probably among the biggest stories this paper will report this year. For the paper, to put it bluntly, it's a get.

For the reporter, I'm not sure. I don't think she should have brought up her case -- certainly not so publicly -- at this point. I also think she'll come to regret it. And not because of anything Teague might say or do to her.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  3. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

My apologies, I should know better than to jump to conclusions.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You aren't reading this wrong at all. She makes the disgusting texts public, and her life changes, a beat she probably likes is going away, god knows what she will be covering next.

This can't be hard for people to comprehend, right?

Lugnuts likes this.
  5. WriteThinking

It can't be that hard for people to comprehend that there might be something more important involved than what beat you might cover, either. Right?

Not if you're really serious about bringing allegations of this nature, know that you are in the right, and can and will stand behind your principles.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

If you're talking principles, the one about not being victimized twice by this creep should be taken into consideration. The system that's protecting Rayno and looking out for her interests, in this unique case, would also be destroying (or at least temporarily derailing) her career. It's through no fault of her own, just the way the legal system is set up and the nature of her job.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So you don't understand at all why a woman would be hesitant to make a move where she might be drummed out of her male-dominated field? I find that very hard to believe.

8. WriteThinking

I guess I don't see Teague as "a powerful man." Not in any sense, and certainly not when it came to Rayno's career. If he treats her (or, say, me) in a way that's out of bounds, and expects to get away with it, well, he would've been mistaken when it came to me.

And if I went to my bosses with allegations of this nature, I would have expected them to do something about it, or else I'd never have told them.

If I had to leave a beat, either for a while or forever, because of legal reasons in order to do what I thought was right -- stop this guy from doing it, to me, at least, even if to nobody else, it wouldn't bother me. Not if it was for this reason and in this situation.

Rayno gave Teague power, that is, additional power, and more power than he truly or rightly actually possessed over her.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You are so out of touch with reality if you do not think Teague is a powerful man.

10. WriteThinking

So be it. I don't think Teague's a powerful man.

Especially now.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

We *obviously* aren't talking about now. We are talking about whether Teague, the Minnesota AD, was a powerful man in the context of a Minnesota athletics beat writer.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This is unbelievable.

Draft saved Draft deleted